Rolling Along


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Delft
May 12th 2014
Published: May 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Monday



What a difference a day makes! We started off this morning with a much smaller group; only ten of us continued on after yesterday's ride. The rest said they would ride again on Tuesday. While it was still mostly cloudy and windy, there were only two occasions of very short showers, one we were able to take shelter under the canopy of trees and the other didn't last long at all. We also had periods of sunshine; honestly without Sunday's ride we would not have appreciated today.



The countryside was so beautiful; I had not thought about seeing so many geese, ducks and swans and their offspring, but they were everywhere. All the canals were full of new life and we really enjoyed stopping to take pictures or just watching the swans protecting their young. We rode through several small villages--everyone has perfect gardens full of flowers and vegetables. This country is a gardener's paradise. That and the bike paths that are literally all over, although riding through Rotterdam during rush hour and then Delft was a bit unnerving; nobody here even flinches!



Tomorrow we begin with a tour of one of two remaining Delft pottery factories, a stop at The Haag and then cycling through the sand dunes along the coast. It will be a 50 kilometer day--complete with rolling hills, although it's supposed to be warmer with more sunshine. We even found McDonald's in Delft!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb