Utrecht Round 2


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Province of Utrecht » Utrecht
July 26th 2010
Published: July 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Automated music machinesAutomated music machinesAutomated music machines

This cool museum had every kind of self playing organ, rotating disk, piano imaginable.
Today we went back into Utrecht for the second time. I can't believe it has been exactly 2 weeks since we went there the first time! We headed straight for the National Museum of Musical Clocks to Street Organs. This is a museum that houses the world's largest collection of automatic musical instruments such as street organs. This was a really cool museum. We first walked around the second floor viewing area which had all sorts of displays. There were even cardboard discs used to play music on these machines! Then we took part in the guided tour (he did an abbreviated English version for just us) which was really cool! The guide demonstrated most of the instruments on display. They also had an activity room just for kids. One activity the kids both did was to take a strip of cardboard and mark and then hole-punch a pattern in it so that when it was played through a musical machine with pins and a cylinder it would play a song. Both songs turned out well but we don't have the music player at home so can't really share the end result....

Then we headed over to the University Museum which was supposed to be really fun for kids. It looked like it would have been really fun for kids, however, as there was not much in the way of English translations on the displays/activities, it was hard to figure out what to do. There was a whole room of interactive displays, none of which we could really figure out. So, we meandered back to the bus stop by way of several shops along the way.

We caught our bus and made it home...As it is our final night, it is packing and cleaning tonight. So sad....The end of another Amazing Adventure for the Robertsons!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

N'er far from homeN'er far from home
N'er far from home

Even in Holland you can get a taste of the Scottish
Mini miniMini mini
Mini mini

Man, they make cars tiny here.
Some things just don't translateSome things just don't translate
Some things just don't translate

The kids say that when I dance (Nigel) this sign describes how I move it, move it.


26th July 2010

Llasst nnighttt!!!
Thiss iss aa ssaadd ddaayy twisstty asssss....
26th July 2010

Adopt me for next year
I love the blog and want to be a Robertson for future holidays!
26th July 2010

Twisty Ass
Now you're talking! Museums and culture are one thing. Finding a twisty ass in the heart of Holland is another. Thanks for sharing. I've been looking all over and couldn't find any over on this side of the pond. Looks like you're having some fun!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb