Day 6 - Veluwse Markt


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Province of Utrecht » Utrecht
July 15th 2010
Published: July 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

OliebollenOliebollenOliebollen

These were to-die-for. Essentially they are raisin fritter balls, either plain or rolled in icing sugar. Yummmmm.
Today was a quiet day for the family Robertson. We packed up our picnic lunch and headed to nearby Barneveld. They were having a market day and it was packed. We bought some fresh sausages, some souvenirs, and tried oliebollen (sort of like a small raisin doughnut). We also did a short tour of an Alice in Wonderland Museum which was pretty cool. Later we played some soccer at the park and rode bikes around for a while.

I wanted to pass along the most annoying thing I saw so far this trip: we were on a canal boat in Brugge and it was breathtaking (not like on Seinfeld but really breathtaking), and I look over and there is a lady on the boat chatting on her cell phone. Was the call THAT important?? Seriously!

We are enjoying the car's built-in GPS. It kindly tells us when to get out of "the rotary" (the roundabout). The nice thing about rotaries here is that they tend to have 4 spokes which is so much easier to navigate than the ones in England that had 5 or 6 sometimes. Downside is that we don't read a word of Dutch so we
Alice in WonderlandAlice in WonderlandAlice in Wonderland

The kids are as mad as a hatter.
rely entirely on "Lori" (the GPS voice) to guide us. So far, she has not led us astray. And we have almost always followed her directions. She quickly re-evaluates when we don't...

Funny note. For the first four days I (Nigel now) have been raving about this sunscreen that Lori brought. I normally hate suntan lotions because they are gooey white greasy messes. This stuff by contrast was excellent. It was invisible. Went on just like water. Had no oily feel. You couldn't even tell you had it on. Last night, Rachel revealed that it WAS water. She had emptied out the suntan lotion and filled it with water because she'd wanted a spray bottle to cool herself off with. It's a miracle that I'm not burned to a crisp. There must be a placebo effect for suntan lotions because I've been in the sun all day for 5 days and have no burn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Street vendorsStreet vendors
Street vendors

We got some great deals along the streets in the market.
Enjoy the rideEnjoy the ride
Enjoy the ride

Even amusement rides are pedal-powered (he pedals and plays the accordion at the same time).


15th July 2010

So fun to read
HI Nigel and all, I am having lunch with you guys alomost everyday. It is so fun to read! Keep me posted. PS: Nigel, knowing that it is water, the placebo effect won't work anymore. You could try milk, I ensure you, it is not greasy, but it could smell a bit ;-) Diane
15th July 2010

A great laugh !
We are really enjoying your blogs and the fun pictures.................we laughed our heads off at Nigel's story of using this great non-greasy suntan lotion ,....I'll bet he was about to get a patent on it and sell it world wide !!!!!Are you picking up any essential Dutch words....do many of the adults/vendors speak English ??????.........Look forward to tomorrow for another adventure.Love Mom and Dad C.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb