Hummingham Denmark to Bourtange Netherlands


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Went to bed really late after late night call to Australia with Jenny and Izzy. (Memo to me: as soon as we get home I will have to get my flights booked as need to be in Melbourne in time for birth of my grandson).
Packed up and left in plenty of time for our ferry to Germany from Rodbyhavn to Puttgarden, which was only 10 minutes drive from our campsite.
At the ferry port we were loaded straight onto the ferry behind a horse-box containing two unhappy, kicking horses and a train. Yes, really, a train. It seems that the intercity Hamburg to Copenhagen train must travel part of the way, sans rails, on the ferry. Never seen that before !
We were surprised to find ourselves out at sea within minutes of boarding which meant we were on the 9.45 not the 10.15 as booked ! All incredibly efficient. Very pleasant breakfast cruise with coffee and a pastry taken on the sun deck.
Once in Germany, though we noticed no difference in country from before, we took the motorway in the direction of Hamburg and the traffic was not very pleasant, very busy and fast. The autobahns are
on our ferry to Germanyon our ferry to Germanyon our ferry to Germany

Train and horses
mainly 2-lane, made of concrete and noisy. Once round Hamburg we took a more minor road but that was not very good as quite a lot of trucks were using it too so there were lots of stop starts. We went back on the motorway to get round Bremen then cut across country towards Gronnigen and our campsite in nearby Bourtange.
Hardly noticed as we slipped across the border into The Netherlands. This is the 6th country we have visited and the 8th border we have crossed ( as did Sweden and Denmark twice) but we still haven’t taken the passports out of the safe. We must look honest.
The countryside is all very much the same in all three countries we have driven through today, very very flat and field after field filled with ripening crops. Our only stop in Germany this trip was to buy bread for lunch and to eat it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Windmill German styleWindmill German style
Windmill German style

Prettier than all those wind turbines


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb