THE END OF THE SECOND CHAPTER


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland
June 26th 2014
Published: June 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

In the event the train saga was not over. We had a text from our friends saying they had got to Meppel station to buy tickets for a direct train to Schiphol – but at Meppel you can’t use cards or notes only coins, and of course they didn’t have what they needed in coins. So they had to change trains at the next stop where at least the ticket machine took notes – not cards of course! We have since done our homework and there is really no alternative to buying a Dutch oyster card which combines buses and trains and which you top up – but you can only get them in very select places – Holland doesn’t make visiting easy!!

The next day we set off round the Randmeren which is a string of shallow inland lakes which demarcate where Flevoland was reclaimed/created in 1953, the latest area in Holland to be created from the sea. We had to get to Naarden, just east of Amsterdam where we are leaving Isabela in preparation for the next round of adventures and the choice was to go inland or to go on to the Markermeer. The weather forecast was OKish although some said there would be thunderstorms and it was going to be blowing onshore so a bit beamy so we concluded that as we have set our stall to be inland sailors rather than sea sailors we should honour that. Either way it was around 60 miles. The plan was to do it in 2 hops but for the first 80% of the time it was glorious, sunny and smooth so we kept going. Inevitably the wind increased, the clouds thickened and we were pleased not to be on the sea and anxious to get to port which we did after 10 hours. We were somewhat shattered and actually went to bed in the daylight, although it was still 2215!

So in effect we got to Naarden a day early but that has given time for the washing and on Thursday we braved the Dutch trains ourselves to go and get the car which was still at Drimmelen.

In summary it took 4 hours, a taxi, 2 trains and 2 buses to get to the car, and an hour to drive back! But that does not describe the pride we felt in, having been warned, being prepared with oodles of coins in Naarden station, seeking out the chipkard in Schiphol (which we paid for with Mastercard) to use on all other transport that day, swiping a different machine to pay the supplement to go by Intercity to Breda and then finding the right bus in Breda and then again in Made! Having said that the Dutch don’t make it easy that’s not completely true – as ever once you know what to do it is easy. All the trains had announcements in Dutch and English. All the buses and trains have helpful maps and electronic information re where you are going, when you will get there and even what connections are in particular stations down to platforms. I have to say the Brits cannot compare with much of that!



The sun is shining on Naarden and we will be sorry to say goodbye, albeit temporarily to Isabela tomorrow but we will look forward to the 3rd chapter of our adventure in a couple of weeks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

That's what I call a pontoonThat's what I call a pontoon
That's what I call a pontoon

A long pontoon are we are at the far end!


28th June 2014

home for a rest
Enjoyed catching up with your exploits, it seems easier to travel by boat than by public transport. We are at Rochester getting ready to eat in the club house. Off to whitstable on Sunday by train. Love Fran & Colin

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb