A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DUTCH.


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Wieringerwerf
June 2nd 2014
Published: June 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

A casual 20 hours later.

this was the flight: we left from Melbourne and 8 hours later landed at Kuala Lumpar where we waited for 2 hours, then flew another 12 to land in Amsterdam.

buildings, something different.buildings, something different.buildings, something different.

this is just a photo of the house structure, they're so different but still so similar!

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DUTCH!



(note to the readers, this isn't just a blog on locations and experience, it's a story too.. think of it a little like a diary. )



THE FLIGHT AND DAY ONE:
When does the holiday start? Is it the second you drive out of the driveway? Is that the beginning? Or is it as soon as you touch down at your destination and the dreaded flight is over?..

The flight we boarded was a long 8 hour stretch to Kuala Lumpur where we would sit and wait 2 hours before we would board the last leg that was a long 12 hour flight all the way to Amsterdam. The conditions in Malaysia where just crazy, we landed at 11:00pm with a casual weather temperature of 29 degrees, it was warm, sticky and just out right gross. Thankfully it was only a quick stopover. Thinking back on the flight i honestly don't know how i survived it, 8 hours with a cramped plane, and a lady with her seat so far back it was nearly crushing me. Then 12 hours, well that speaks for itself.... Leaving the plane we
a little scenery..a little scenery..a little scenery..

just a photo whilst on the road.
headed to grab all our luggage and pass customs, it was a quick task, the luggage was practically the first few out on the carousal so it was all super easy. Once we'd grabbed all that we had we headed to the arrivals gate where we saw the glowing faces of my dads brothers family...

A little about myself: I'm the oldest daughter in my family, there's a 3 year gap between my little sister and I. My parents, little sister and I all live in Australia, with my parents moving there in 1989. Growing up in Holland they moved for the field of work they wanted to pursue, but being the only ones in both their families to leave Holland makes for a bit of a situation. You see, THE ENTIRE FAMILY OF BOTH OF THEM LIVES IN HOLLAND.
Being the only ones in Australia had it's disadvantages and MASSIVE ADVANTAGES! So, i missed the big family Christmas's, and being flooded in chocolate in Easter. I won't lie, i don't need the calories anyway. All that family overseas made for ONE HELL OF A HOLIDAY!

... With the plane landing in Amsterdam at 6:00am we still had
Just a bit more scenery.Just a bit more scenery.Just a bit more scenery.

this is a photo of the farm that the family i'm staying with has, that's a win turbine in the background.
the entire day ahead of us, once we exited the arrival gate and greeted the family the first thing we did was get a coffee at the airport. By the looks of all of us, we needed it! I'll be honest, having not seen everyone for about 4 years now i was a little nervous. I know i'd changed, i was sure they would've too. But whilst having a coffee with everyone i could already see i was entirely wrong, although we'd all changed, between us nothing had. That already excited me so much, knowing that everything between us was going to be so casual and great!

After our little reunion over a cup of coffee we headed back to the house to settle our stuff in and claimed our rooms. Before long it was coming up lunchtime and my Aunty had prepared something for my dad and his brother. She'd gone out of her way just to buy the sorts of foods that they ate as a family growing up, and that in itself was really special because they were all foods that dad hadn't eaten since he was a child. You could see just how much fun
GOD I'M LUCKY!GOD I'M LUCKY!GOD I'M LUCKY!

this is a picture of some of the house i'm staying in, it's a contemporary design that's really classy and sophisticated.. definitely no complaints from me.
he was having telling everyone the memories he wad as a kid, and laughing about the stuff that the brothers used to get up to growing up. For him you could tell just how much the little gesture really meant and of course for myself and my little sister it was all new foods that we'd never eaten heard of in Australia. It was a perfect start to the first day!

Our next stop was to visit oma (grandma), mum had planned to drop in and let her know we'd arrived and arrived safely and mainly just to see her. But first we needed to pass the snack bar in Weiringerwerf called 'La Hormiga' for a compulsory Frikandel with mayonnaise and curry sauce, called the 'Frikandel Special'. It would actually be on of my down right FAVORITE dutch foods, there is nothing even remotely close to what a Frikandel is in Australia. So having it here is a real treat! After out stop for a treat we continued to head to the town of Wognum where we would visit oma. She was very proud to see us and surprised by how much we'd grown in 4 years! Most of
the average breakfast.the average breakfast.the average breakfast.

this is what we have to choose from in the mornings: -a yogurt drink. -chocomel -sprinkles -nutella .. and i nice stroopwaffel to go with the coffee afterwards.
the afternoon just consisted of laughs and stories all that catching up that needed to be done. At about mid afternoon, the door at oma's rung and opa (grandpa) answered it. It was my little cousin, the daughter of mums sister, and she'd skipped the last period of school just to visit us, she was so excited that she actually overwhelmed herself and got really emotional. After a little chat on the couch with oma and mum, and a present of 1000+ loom bands, she was a little more cheerful and joined us all outside. She'd dropped her entire loom band collection and the case had mixed up all the bands, so a lot of the afternoon also then consisted of us helping her sort them out, which she thought was the best! Not long after her brothers finished school as well and joined us for a nice glass of Chocomel.

By the time we'd finished at Oma's it was late afternoon and we all headed back home for tea. Tea was delicious, by now we were looking pretty exhausted and ready for bed, jet lag had definitely gotten the better of us, it was about 8:30 and we
in the beginning..in the beginning..in the beginning..

this is the plane from the melbourne airport, first stop malaysia.
looked pretty dull. Considering bed became not an option when my dad's other brother arrived in the evening. With all the brothers reuniting over a beer and the ladies gossiping away it turned into a pretty long night. But you could see that everyone was so happy and just relaxed having a laugh and a drink and just talking with each other. It was definitely a good end to the night. By 12:00 we were all in bed and asleep excited for the next day!

Untill i woke up at 5:30.. THANKYOU JET LAG!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb