Happy in Haarlem


Advertisement
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Haarlem
April 24th 2007
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.4292, 4.77933Very good hostel breakfast - 3 cheeses and meats, assorted buns and bread (I stuck to the multi-grain bread), plain yogurt, cereal, juice, coffee, biscuits and even hard boiled eggs. Mmmm ... the last time I ate a hard-boiled egg for breakfast while traveling was at a hotel in Barcelona. They had a very nice, rich peanut butter. I stuffed myself - old hostel habits die hard!... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

ww
w

The interior of the hidden Catholic church. Steel rods are used to support the balconies to each other and to support them to the trusses above.
xx
x

It's tough to see in this blurry picture (no flash was allowed) but to save space, they had a hidden podium for the priest to speak from.
yy
y

A whole in the chair - a pretty common occurence when Tri passes gas while sitting.
zz
z

Tiny toilet stall. Even the modern European versions are frequently no bigger. It can be quite challenging to sit down or get off the throne without injuring yourself.
zaza
za

You had to use the rope to get up this very steep and tight staircase.
zbzb
zb

The locks in "Little Venice". They call this area that because the buildings aren't built on quays - they rise straight out of the water, just like in Venice.
zdzd
zd

A place offering foot massages - normally this would be quite innocent but being in Amsterdam, it wouldn't surprise me if it was some kind of twisted foot fetish place where women walk all over you with stilettos and stuff used gym socks down your throat. Not that I would know about such things firsthand ... BTW - anybody know of a good treatment for stiletto-shaped puncture wounds on your back, and a treatment for athlete's foot that has migrated into your mouth?
zeze
ze

Though this was considered to be Chinatown, there were Latino business right alongside the Chinese ones. See, the Chinese and Latinos can co-exist, and even thrive together. So why couldn't Spanish hotel hotties see that??? :)
zfzf
zf

A very inconspicuous-looking police station.
zgzg
zg

A buddhist temple - funny, because I've never actually visited the ones in Calgary but I would visit ones I see during my travels. It's not that I haven't tried - it's just that they refuse to let me in until I stop wearing my Dalai Lama costume and stop asking random women to "Rub and worship my Buddha".
zizi
zi

A typical canal in Amsterdam - but this one happens to be in the red light district. The doorways with red curtains on the left are typical spots where the women stand. This was a neat area because the women in windows were interspersed with restaurant and stores. The extremes of society exist side by side here in Amsterdam.
zjzj
zj

The SM stands for - you guessed it - S&M. There's something for all tastes here in Amsterdam!
zj1zj1
zj1

True dat. Unless it involves S&M!
zkzk
zk

The Amsterdam equivalent of Costco.
zlzl
zl

The Bananenbar - for 40 Euros you get admission for an hour, including drinks served by nude waitresses. The waitresses will also serve you bananas "any way that you like". How do I know this? Uh ... uh ... because that's what my guidebook said??? You all should ask Tri about the banana incident in a Thai bar. Ask him what "Oh my god! I'm hit! I'm hit!" means.
znzn
zn

This theatre is famous for its fountain - a giant you know what that rotates and shoots water out the tip. Only in Amsterdam!
zozo
zo

This was a self-pleasuring bicycle. I wonder how many engineers it took to design this?
zpzp
zp

Ooh ... a store for all of my sensual clothing needs ... I asked, but they didn't have any leather or PVC pocket protectors, or lace cases for my graphing calculator. D'oh!
zqzq
zq

The Cannabis College - definitely an institute of "High"er learning!
zrzr
zr

Another "hidden" Catholic church.
zszs
zs

The entry to the Amsterdam History museum. The X-shaped crosses represent the crucifixion of St. Andrew. They also symbolize heroism, determination, and mercy, NOT hookers, hash, and banana bars.



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb