Sailing from Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
August 27th 2017
Published: August 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sunday morning arrived and we were still adjusting to the time shift. Creatures of habit, we found ourselves back at the Starbuck’s where the very tall wall behind the counter proclaims “Fresh Roasted in Amsterdam”. I tried the caramel shortbread this time, along with their version of the breakfast croissant. Sharon went with the chocolate muffin. I think my mocha Frappuccino was even chocolatier than the day before.

Checkout time was noon; but, we were ready to leave an hour earlier and the concierge ordered us a taxi. The taxi arrived within five minutes, and it was a short drive to the pier where the Koningsdam was waiting for us. We were told that you could walk to the pier, but with Sharon’s legs and my left heel still hurting some from the previous night’s walking tour, that didn’t seem a good idea, especially considering that all of the streets and walkways are basically little more than flattened cobblestones. Dragging our luggage over these seemed more of an ordeal than we were up to. I wouldn’t walk the twenty minutes we were told that it should take without the luggage, so we were grateful to have an alternative.

With tip included it cost us 20 euro, and that was a bargain. We had some trouble finding a porter to take our large bags. The group ahead of us seemed more interested in telling his life’s story to the attractive Dutch porter. Finally, someone came and directed us inside where dropping of the bag was much easier. I wouldn’t be surprised if that group is still there chatting with the porter and missed the ship altogether. Our 4-star check-in expedited our boarding, and I have no doubt we were among the first to get to our cabin. I prepared a laundry bag for the cabin steward to take, and we went up to the Lido for lunch. We both opted for the Dive-In. I got the Cannonball with Fries, and Sharon got her Plain Burger with Fries. We got sodas from the beverage steward.

We popped up to the Crow’s Nest on the deck where the Exploration Café is located, and I was able to get my bottle of San Pellegrino for cabin. With our Mariner Status things that we get here are half-priced for us. Sharon was pleased to learn later that the gelato is another item offered to 4-star mariners for half price. Ah, the perks of being a frequent cruiser.

We also got to experience the Koningsdam version of the “Life Boat Drill”. To start, you must get to, or remain in your cabin, for the start of the drill. Because we thought we knew better, we went up to Deck 2 to find our interior muster station. They no longer muster on the promenade, because it is much narrower than on HAL’s other ships. Well, we found it, only to be told to return to our cabins, watch the safety video, and only to return to the muster station when directed to do so over the PA. So we did all this, then once directed to do so returned to our station and found a comfortable seat for the remainder of the drill. Some ladies joined us, and we got to talking, and as it turns out they were looking for Trivia Partners. They did an interview of us! They seemed happy with people with a technical background. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we joined a team of old retired school teachers from New England. You know what I say, “If you can’t beat them, join them.” The drill ended and we went back to our cabins, promising to meet them this evening at 8PM for Evening Trivia.

Mass on the Koningsdam was moved up to 4:30PM and is in the Half Moon towards the middle of our Deck, so it’s very convenient for Sharon. Afterwards we went up to dinner. We were seated at a round table for six towards the rear of the ship. One of the other couples is also from Las Vegas and the others are from Michigan but currently living in the Netherlands a few hours out of Amsterdam. We had our backs to the window so we weren’t able to see the view of the sail away or passage through the locks leaving Amsterdam, although we were able to catch a glimpse out the side windows. I was tempted to try the cod, and I later learned that it had been caught that day; but, chose instead the lasagna which makes the third time in one week. I might be getting a bit sick of lasagna, which so far hasn’t been as good as the lasagna that I make (not to brag, which I guess I am). I had the seared scallops with bacon and the daily French Onion soup. Sharon had the pork chop with a baked potato. I of course enjoyed my banana crisp, one of HAL’s first day menu desserts that you can bank on.

We joined our teammates in the Crow’s Nest; although, Sharon didn’t arrive right away because she stopped in the casino to check out the machines. She hasn’t found a “good machine” yet. We had a bit of a rocky start; although, we did perhaps better than we might have done. I didn’t think hard enough about “What waterway opened in 1869?” One of our “school teacher” partners suggested the Eerie Canal, and I knew this was the answer to a previous similar question. But the year was too late for that canal and not sure it qualifies as a major waterway. We should have gone with Suez Canal as many people did. And they wanted to know how many minutes long is a regular soccer game. I don’t know why I was reluctant to say “90”; but, when none of the school teachers wanted any piece of this question, I suggested “80”, knowing that the answer was longer than “60”. It was indeed “90”. If I’d have studied the next 100 questions in my Trivia List, I would have been able to come up with “Which British University boasts the oldest Botanical Garden?” I was hemming and hawing between Oxford and Cambridge; and, the school teachers let us down again and I could see no reason to argue with them. We went with Cambridge. I can’t believe the school teachers didn’t know which planet has a storm system known as “The Great Red Spot”. It is of course Jupiter. And growing up in Southern California, who wouldn’t know “What sport would you be participating in if you ‘Shoot the Curl’?” It is of course “surfing”. We then hit a slew of “repeat questions” before, “What toy has a name that means ‘Play Well’ in Dutch?” The school teachers came through on this one: “Lego”. The two-point bonus question was one that everyone knew, “What two countries were at war during the Falkland Island’s War?” When the dust had settled, we had 14 of 17 possible points and were tied for first with one other team. The tie breaker question was, “How many movies did Elvis Presley star in?” I suggested 20. One of the school teachers began listing movies that she knew that he appeared in, starting with “Love Me Tender” and “Blue Hawaii”. She got up to 7. She was reluctant to go any higher. Eventually another lady said she thought it might be higher, and we went with “10”. Fortunately the other team had chosen “9” and we had a lock on any double-digit number. The real answer “33”! We won our “Northern Europe” pins, but the Koningsdam is still giving out the cheaper (less desirable) pins.

Sharon decided to do a Ship Walk-About to check-out what’s where. I popped in the casino, and it seemed quite busy, but the “Fun-21” table had a dealer waiting for somebody to sit down. I would have, but I needed to pop back to the cabin to get some money. When I returned, the table had been closed. I went over and stood by the table and soon the pit boss asked if I’d like to play. I said yes, and she said that she would get a dealer. The first shoe was pretty brutal; but, I wasn’t pressing yet, and so I wasn’t down all that much. Things changed with the next shoe, and I continued to play by myself. After a couple of more shoes, I was slightly ahead and actually doing well. And then I hit a hot streak of cards and won 11 hands in a row. With my parlay, I racked up a nice gain. And nobody sat down to join the table. There were a number of watchers. When my win-streak ended, I decided to call it a night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb