BLT Day #18: The Grand European Cruise begins!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 11th 2015
Published: May 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We've never done a river cruise before, so it seemed kind of strange that we were booking two of them back to back without knowing what we were getting into. But we've heard so many wonderful things about river cruising from family and friends that we decided to take the leap anyway. That said, we were very eager to actually get onto the Viking Skirnir Longship to see for ourselves. And so far, it's all good!

First of all, embarkation was a breeze - especially compared to our cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. The Princess ship had 3100 passengers, who all decided to check in at the same time. After we dropped off our luggage at that dock, it still took over an hour to get to our cabin. The Skirnir has only 185 passengers and it took exactly 8 minutes after we dropped off our luggage to be standing in our cabin. You gotta love that!

The Skirnir is one of 10 new "longships" christened by Viking this year. Our balcony cabin is slightly smaller that a comparable one on a large cruise ship, but the storage space is quite spacious. Beds are quite comfortable and there's a HUGE flat screen SONY TV. This cabin has 4 (yes 4!) 110volt outlets - twice as many as our Princess ship. Viking markets mainly to Americans, so they knew that this would be a big advantage.

All the common areas of the ship are wonderful. The lounge, dining room and decks are decorated quite tastefully. We love the fact that there's a walking track on the top deck since we're trying hard to gets lots of exercise to offset all the extra food/drinks we're consuming..all in all, we are delighted with everything we've seen so far.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb