Tulips and Windmills


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
April 18th 2015
Published: April 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 April 18 - Amsterdam River Duchess
This day is a transfer day from the hotel to the cruise. We will board the Uniworld River Duchess for the 10 day cruise through Netherlands and Belgium. We arose, made a cappuccino, showered, packed and went down to breakfast. This hotel has a very nice buffet breakfast. Many European hotels only offer continental style breakfast of cereal, cold cuts, hard rolls and yoghurt. Here we have enjoyed scrambled eggs, sausage, baked beans (I know who wants beans for breakfast), fresh fruit, cereal, many breads for toast, ham and cheese, etc. They even offered fresh baked donuts!! We never buy or eat donuts so here, we each splurged and had one and loved it!

We sat and chatted with Bill and Jane until 11am and then had to go up and close up our bags and go down to check out at noon. Our Uniworld driver came to pick us up around 1pm and took us to the boat to check in for the cruise. The River Duchess was very close to the hotel and only took a few minutes. A ship porter came with a cart to take our luggage on to the boat. We came in and were initially impressed by the beauty of the reception area.

We were checking in and the attendant at the desk remembered both couples from our Bordeaux cruise last summer on the River Royale. Our cabins were not quite ready yet so they sent us to the dining room for lunch. We enjoyed salads and and a wonderful red wine, Rudik, from Hungary. The waiter soon came by and let us know that our cabins were ready for us. We were taken to our cabin #323 and Bill and Jane were right across the hall in #322. We unpacked and got settled in for the next 10 days. These boats have so much storage and that is wonderful. We had fresh bottled water and several pieces of fresh fruit in our cabin. OH and a bowl of chocolates... We quickly picked out the Vahlrona chocolate. We went to the Valhrona chocolate factory in 2012 in the south of France. The cruise had the mandatory safety chat, then the captain, hotel manager and cruise director all spoke to the guests. This is a full cruise with 120 guests. We went to dinner and then called it a day. I actually love these quite days with minimal activity. Good night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb