3 days in the dam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 21st 2006
Published: July 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dave horsing aroundDave horsing aroundDave horsing around

I like ice--cream
We had the plane tickets, the know how and the train routes ready to go to Amsterdam but all came to a low straight away when we realised we had caught the train from London to the wrong airport. So a couple of hours and a few hundred dollars later we were in the air aboard an Easyjet plane sampling some of the finest cuisine which included a sandwich and water.
A hour later we were in Amsterdam where we caught a train to the centre of Amsterdam. With no accomadation booked we were hoping on a opening somewhere. Marty, my brother, went scouting in his delerious hung over state and found us a descent hotel room to stay. We were all glad to rest and have a shower and gear up to check out Amsterdam.
The first day we spent walking around the red light district looking for places to eat and drink. We found a chinese place and had a good feed then went to the oldest pub in Amsterdam called the Old Sailor. Some people say the pubs estimated value is 45 million Euro and the owner worked behind the bar all day. A few more beers and
Slanty buildingSlanty buildingSlanty building

no it is not a photo of the sex shops. it is of the buidling that is falling over, very slowly
the sun started to slowly go down so we decided to head back home and come back when the red lights were ablaze.
So we headed back to the hotel room for a bit. Marty fell asleep, partially due to vast quantities of beer consumed in the last week and the lack of sleep and also jetlag, so Kerrie and myself went out for the night.
On the way the cravings were to much for Kerrie(not the munchies) so she got some chips and then we headed back to the Old Sailor.
The town is well lit with red fluroescent lights strategically placed above the perfectly clean and clear windows which allow the onlooker to have a look at the man/lady, lady, or other forms that are for sale in the window. I particulary liked this form of advertisement and recommend any buisnessman to advertise in this form as many customers are obtained.
20 minutes was the estimated time by myself and Kerrie for a price of 50 Euro it really didnt seem like a bargain for the people who sample the cuisine.
We walked past this one lady and she was the grottiest,fattest saddest looking thing we had ever seen and this was well backed up when a family walked past this thing aswell and the young boy ( 10 or so) said "Yukk"
Thats what we thought!!!
After a hour or so I had to put my eyeballs back in the socket and we headed back to the hotel.
The next day we woke up at a descent hour in the morning and went downstairs for the traditional European breakfast consisting of ham and cheese on bread and some water or juice. After that we went set out for the day hoping to make it to the Heineken experience. Walking through the busy bicycle, tram and car filled streets the weather was a little warm but bearable we came across a canal that was being cleaned. A man was sitting on a barge operating a trench digger with a different head on it like a crabs claw. He was digging old bicycles out of the canal which are usually stolen or broken.
We found the Heineken Experience which was the old brewery and now a museum. Had a good time there and definetly a worthwhile place to see. After that we went to another little corner pub and had a few beers and then another and then another, then later had tea and then went back to the hotel.
The next morning we woke up early and went to see he Anne Frank house--very interesting. After that we checked out of the hotel and caught a train to Nijmegen for the next chapter of our trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

fishing bikes out of the riverfishing bikes out of the river
fishing bikes out of the river

stolen bikes get thrown in there onces the junkies have finished with them
Slanty buildingSlanty building
Slanty building

the brown one is bad, and the one on the left was built before Oz was even discovered, 1685. Below are the red light ladies by night however unable to take photos in the area at night
more bikes......more bikes......
more bikes......

they ride a lot in Holland


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb