Amsterdam - Rembrandt, the 17th Cent. and cycle paradise (Tues 5 Oct)


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
October 5th 2010
Published: October 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

my red bikemy red bikemy red bike

securely chained and locked nr Rijksmuseum
I already told you how hotels were not exactly cheap in Amsterdam - well not in walk off the streetrates near the station anyway. They get more expensive on weekends they say - reverse of business centres which get cheaper on the weekends when the business men leave. Anyway not a v good nights sleep at all - damn quilt/duvet thing being too hot drove me mad - as in Bruxelle actually but at least there was a decorative purple blanket to cover - here the temp. prob did not get below 13 so threw the duvet out of the cover and used just sheet cover over myself. But also a very considerable racket from 8-ish of what turned out to be workmen on the roof, removing scaffolding next door. Women at hotel assure me they were finished today. Better be as shattered sleep cannot be replaced, whether hotel is 100E or what - it was noisier than a backpackers this morning!

The free breakfast was quite good so swings and roundabouts in terms of costs - despite paying for the Net. As the day was cloudy but not raining and supposed forecast of c.18 decided might scope the bike rental market. Hotel had flyers for a place - but had seen another place in street behind. 13.50E for a full 24 hrs sounded a bit rich - but the product turned out to v good indeed. A bright red new bike, front light powered by front hub, frame mounted lock thru spokes on rear wheel, and a chain you could moor HMS Dreadnought with for stanchion mooring the front wheel and frame! Amsterdam is paradise for cyclists with dedicated 2 way lanes on most streets or at least marked side of the pavement - when you curse dawdling pedestrians who are used to having it all to themselves (well, not here). You often hear a voice coming up behind you - not 2 cyclists but a cyclist on their mobile while riding.

Decided that as the Rijksmuseum (State museum) with all the Rembrandts etc was otherwise a bit of a hike to walk, a bike was the ideal means to get down there. Got down there about 2pm and no Q to get in. Although the place is under major reconstruction and they only have an edited "best of" selection, a slightly reduced price of 12.50E applies (otherwsie might be 15E I think). And absolutely no camera shots, altho took my camera in for security of tenure. The bottom floor had little painting but displays of selected Delft ware and a lot of silverware. Then upstairs for the main history of the 17th century Flemish school, incl. of course Rembrandt and Vermeer etc. They announce, don't worry the Night Watch is on display - I should say it is so big they would have to knock down walls to move it, its huge! and was apparently cut down on 3 sides 200 yrs ago or so to fit it into a space in the guild hall or something. The paintings were all carefully selected to contrast the various techniques of the various artists and all had reasonably detailed captions for each work. I had a reasonable amount of time for this so mostly did read the captions. This took me til almost 5pm - it is now open to 6pm and some of the museums are also open til 10pm on Fridays - no use to me as I will be out of here.

As the bike was so securely locked up, I did a bit of a wander close by down what appeared to be Amsterdam's uber-designer boutique street, Vuitton, Ferragamo etc etc. Had a coffee in a cafe opposite Vuitton to pick me up. Then fired up the bike, after shooting a few art deco/nouveau sort of touches on some buildings and headed off out of the centre city in a generally southerly direction. Came upon a huge convention centre complex etc etc. Having that compass in my pocket and knowing that the main rail is N really helps! Having the bike certainly gives you much more freedom where you can go, and more quickly - rather than working out how many "strips" things are on the trams etc. Its mine til 1pm tomorrow - main reason I did it today was cos rain might appear tomorrow Wed. and Thurs. If fine tomorrow might follow a Lonely Planet suggestion on Ipod for a more ex-urban trip.

It had relatively got dark so sought dinner. Decided that a resto saying only Indonesian was better than big one I saw earlier called Chinese/Indonesian.This was a small place on the west side from the hotel and proved to be pretty good - in my very seldom Indonesian eating schedule at home (like last years ago). I ordered a rijstafel mixture which was good - nice slightly spicy chicken soup with clear broth and good chunks of chicken to start. Then about 5 meat dishes - chicken satay and a spicy chicken, a rich dark pork braise, a rendang and side dishes of chili beans salad, veges, half an egg in sauce etc. All pretty filling for 24.50E and a couple of beers to wash it down. A bit more of a cycle to try and work that down then back to the hotel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

more sorta kinda nouveaumore sorta kinda nouveau
more sorta kinda nouveau

on the same building as the gold, another wall
the Amsterdam de-siiigner streetthe Amsterdam de-siiigner street
the Amsterdam de-siiigner street

note the old style tackle mountings at roof line
where to put the designer shoppingwhere to put the designer shopping
where to put the designer shopping

jammed into a bike panier outside Vuitton
IamSterdamIamSterdam
IamSterdam

I want this ona cap (in orange of course)


6th October 2010

red bikes and beer
Michael, hi I loved the bike! but a bit concerned about you having a couple of beers and then back on your bike! no helmet either I guess. What do you think has brought all of the Argentinians to Amsterdam I don't recall seeing one restaurant (but that was a few years ago now). I'm just catching up on your blog and photos as I had an extended long weekend of 4 days, it rained most of the time in Hallidays but we did get to see an attempt at the largest gathering of Kombis at Old Bar!!!!!! Phil is hobbling around, gout, and he doesn't even drink poor dear Take care, Melita
6th October 2010

Red Bikes.
Hi Mike, What a brilliant way to zoom around! Love the red machine, bit zoomier than the red one I had at 53 bellvue road. State Museum and Night Watch reads good, love the compass idea to keep on the right track. Iamsterdam was pretty cool, Liked that one. The fancy street cafe's, and the view up the street, classic. Love Huddo.

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb