I Am Sterdam (Day 56)


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

msmsms

museum square
Made it into Amsterdam in the early afternoon today and without any hassle found my hostel. I thought this place would be out of the way and kind of lame since it was one of the few ones left with availability. However, it's right on the edge of the downtown area near the big park and the popular square with the famous Iamsterdam sculpture. This place is actually what I needed. Went out for a little walk just to grab some dinner and was just shocked by how many people are on bikes. It's insanity. And there is no discrimination. Every single type of person in the city uses them. Should just get rid of cars once and for all. Went to a Dutch food shop for dinner. I had to when I saw that they have certain items available through like a vending machine system. Got this matrix of little meals in these hotboxes. One column for a burger, one for fries, etc. So I scrounged up some lose change and had a few small things. Not bad. The fasted food one can find.

Went out in the evening with a group from my hostel and checked out the Amsterdam coffee shop scene. Pretty cool, kind of exactly what you expect. From there we made our way into the Red Light District. Good we were with a group since nobody wanted to go alone. Not sure why when we got there though. It's really nothing crazy. It's not nearly as sleazy or seedy as I expected. It's a pretty nice area with coffee shops, bars and food joints. And it just also happens to have a bunch of live sex shows, sex shops and prostitutes ha. But it really doesn't feel too different. I mean you see elderly couples on vacation wandering through it taking pics so it can't be that bad. Pretty cool experience though since it is something so well known and unique to the city. Definitely a good start to Amsterdam and have already realized that my expectations for here were too low. The city really is beautiful and there is much more to it than the drugs, booze and sex that it can get recognized for. We'll see some more of the city tomorrow. Hup Holland!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

dinnerdinner
dinner

dinner to go. lovin' it
CSCS
CS

coffee shop near the red light district
oranjeoranje
oranje

oranje


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb