In Amsterdam!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
March 21st 2006
Published: March 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,
We had a third day in Paris today, and spent our time doing a few things that we had missed the days before.. the Orsay museum (which was amazing - it is in an old train station that is the most beautiful train station I have ever seen), with lots of beautiful and detailed sculptures, and paintings from the 19th and 20th centuries. I found a new favorite genre - neo-impressionism, with artists such as Paul Signac and Georges Lemmen. After that, we headed out to La Defense, which is Paris' downtown area. That was great as we saw a whole different side to Paris - very different from the historic, churchy things we had been touring, and instead, a completely modern set of buildings, folks in suits, etc - what you'd expect from any downtown, but what was completely missing from the large section of Paris we had seen in the last 2 days. We also saw the 'Grande Arche', a huge rectangle-type thing which is big enough to hold the Notre Dame underneath it. Pictures will probably help here, but needless to say, it was cool to see this side of Paris. That replaced our plan of going to the Indian side, but that's okay ..
We then took the train and headed to Amsterdam, which so far has been absolutely fantastic. Immediately we felt a difference in how people responded to any question - with a big smile, and going out of their way to be helpful. The other thing is that there are restaurants from all over the world here - typical American brands like Ben & Jerry's, Dominos, Burger King, but also Surinamese food, Indonesian, Indian, Mediterranean, even Kurdish - and that's all we saw from the tram itself. This was unlike Paris where around the tourist areas, we only really saw three types of food - crepes, panini/sandwiches and pizza. Needless to say, it's great to have more choices after a few days of eating that!

All right .. more in the next!
It's great to receive the comments btw, keep them coming! Thanks to all 😊



Advertisement



22nd March 2006

good that u r having a wonderful time
dear Aman, nice to read abt yr trip to paris and now on to Ams. yes, yr observation abt paris folks/food is just right. all other places will be more accomadating and you will have choice. Some parts of the old w.germany will also have less choices for food but folks wlll be helpful. grt that u both are walking around till you are tired and soaking in as much as you can get to see . enjoy. have fun. love appa
22nd March 2006

Cool
Good to see more descriptions of the places that yoy guys visited. keep them coming. Enjoy your stay in Amsterdam.
23rd March 2006

hi snfkdsan
hello, did u happen to see De gaulle airport and the famous square of the jackal movie where the shootout was planned and wht about mona lisa did u see tat

Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb