Canals and Diamonds


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 6th 2008
Published: May 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Display piecesDisplay piecesDisplay pieces

These clear pieces were used to show how a diamond is cut.
Tuesday 6th May

We started the day with a trip down the canal using the "canal buses" for a tour of the Gassan diamond centre (a bit of a worry I thought). This "tour" turned out be more of a sales pitch similar to the "glassblowing tour" at Murano. The tour guide did however show us how a diamond is cut, beginning with a rough cube, using some models about 2-4 cms across. (Question of the tour "Are those real diamonds?"; I'll let you guess the nationality of the questioner!)

After this short demonstration we were free to view the "Gassan Museum" and the artisans working on some diamonds in a separate area alongside the museum. One of the major points of the talk was that Gassan have developed a new cut (with 121 facets)that increases the shine of a diamond even more than the standard brilliantine cut (57 facets).

After a few minutes in the "museum" we were ushered into a show room. Our guide first listed the different features that determine the worth of a diamond:

SIZE: The weight of a diamond. Diamonds are now measured in points 1.00 points = 1 carat = 0.2g.
Gassan 121Gassan 121Gassan 121

These faux diamonds show the difference between the Gassan 121 cut (left) compared to a normal brilliant cut.
I asked about why the change from carats to points (since they are the same measure ) and got an answer I consider non-sensical and so cannot explain.

COLOUR: Except where rare yellow and blue stones are considered this could better be called "clarity". The top grade "river" is supposed to become invisible when immersed in water.

CLARITY: Also badly named, this could be called excellence or something similar. It refers to the number of inclusions (or imperfections) in the diamond. The top grade is, of course, perfect.

CUT: The worth of the diamond also depends on the cut used. This is partly a fad thing; a particular cut becomes popular so diamonds employing this cut become more valuable.

She then displayed three diamonds in the price range of 15 000 euros to 45 000 euros. After none of the tour group rushed to buy any of these, the guide provided a number of trays of rings, earrings and pendants with lower prices.

We then took the "water bus" to the other end of town to visit the Van Gogh museum. This is a collection of Van Gogh's that were held in trust by his
Sea PalaceSea PalaceSea Palace

The Sea Palace restaurant, mentioned in the previous blog.
brother.

I am not a great fan of Van Gogh but as anyone who has visited us knows we have a print of a Van Gogh on the wall which Marion bought on her last trip to Europe. Marion, somewhat like me, likes some, but not all of his work.

The museum was ordered chronologically and it was interesting to see how his style developed over time.

We hit the hay early, to be up and ready in the wee small hours for the flower market the next day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

HouseboatHouseboat
Houseboat

One of the many privately owned houseboats which clutter the sides of Amsterdam's canals.
Canal BusCanal Bus
Canal Bus

One of the Canal Buses we caught during the day. This one was named Escher - hence the design on the hull!
BridgeBridge
Bridge

One of the many bridges above Amsterdam's canals. This one can open for boats to pass through.
Regal HouseboatRegal Houseboat
Regal Houseboat

Another houseboat, this one with curious decoration. Sometimes it is better not to ask!
Washing dayWashing day
Washing day

A revolving clothes line - aboard a houseboat.
Map!Map!
Map!

Dad and I arguing over which direction to go. I won - and was correct, of course!
Bikes!Bikes!
Bikes!

There are more bikes in Amsterdam than people! This also shows some of the nice architecture in the city.
BikesBikes
Bikes

Bike parking lots?! What will they think of next...
Bike Parking LotBike Parking Lot
Bike Parking Lot

Another photo, just to show how popular bikes have become in Amsterdam.
Hotel EsthereaHotel Estherea
Hotel Estherea

Our beautiful room in Hotel Estherea!


Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb