Amsterdam: canals, coffeehouses and colorful people


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
April 17th 2007
Published: April 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

View from the bridgeView from the bridgeView from the bridge

I can't even describe how beautiful the canals were.
This weekend Jess, Miles, Josh, and I went to Amsterdam. We took a rideculously long busride from Prague, I think it was about 17 hours there (we hit traffic) and 16 hours on the way back, so we pretty much spent the same amount of time in Amsterdam as we did on the bus, but it was totally worth it. I think Amsterdam is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Its a pretty strong competitor even against Portland (Oregon). The whole city is built on canals and people ride their boats down them like they're just strolling along through a park and the whole city is run by the bike community. It's relaxing to wander through the streets and enjoy the beautiful views of the canals and of course, the weather could not be any more perfect while we were there. It was sunny and seventies to eighties the entire weekend. The coffeehouse experience was interesting, to go into any random place and see people rolling joints and smoking in public is such a culture shock for me as an American, it was weird to be in the middle of it. We spent a lot of our time strolling the streets and enjoying the beautiful weather. We spent almost an entire day in Vondel Park, a huge park in the middle of the city. Not only was it a gorgeous landscape but there were all sorts of interesting people hanging out, playing frisbee and riding their bikes.
The food was good too. I had all sorts of splendid delights while in Amsterdam: calzone, pasta, ice cream, unbelievable pancakes, tiramisu, of course it had all the greatest little munchie stands, and the coffee was great too. I had some of the best cappuccinos of my life in that city.
Pretty much good times all around. If I return to any city thus far on my journey through Europe, it will definitly be Amsterdam. I wish I had a week longer to visit, see more museums and rent a bike and ride it through the canaled streets.
Photos made possible by Joshua Adam Kinne.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Boats and BikesBoats and Bikes
Boats and Bikes

The two basic modes of transportation in Amsterdam.
At Vondel ParkAt Vondel Park
At Vondel Park

Jess and Miles relaxing in the park.
More Vondel ParkMore Vondel Park
More Vondel Park

Its like a Monet painting.
Jolly JoshJolly Josh
Jolly Josh

Hanging at Vondel Park
Relaxing at Vondel ParkRelaxing at Vondel Park
Relaxing at Vondel Park

Soaking up the sun.
Beautiful Vondel ParkBeautiful Vondel Park
Beautiful Vondel Park

It was half forest, half fairytale and half picnic haven.
Yes, more Vondel ParkYes, more Vondel Park
Yes, more Vondel Park

I can't get enough of this place.
Perfect DayPerfect Day
Perfect Day

Enjoying the view and sunny weather. Probably one of the best days of my life.
Amsterdam by nightAmsterdam by night
Amsterdam by night

Ghosts on bikes.


25th April 2007

Wow- those pictures look so good, where did you get them? I mean, they could be on postcards or something, don't you think ;-) Vondel Park- definately one of the best days of my life.

Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb