Amsterdam: Covid tests and No Shows


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
October 31st 2021
Published: October 31st 2021
Edit Blog Post

View from B&BView from B&BView from B&B

It was quite a nice morning
I am relaxing in our B&B with a coffee, while I start the blog. We have a couple of hours before we head off for our gay pub tour tonight, which should be a lot of fun (well, maybe it would have been, but the guide never showed up, more on that later).

So, we had a bit of an issue with our covid test results (not what you think, we were both negative!). But the issue was with accessing our results. So, I’ll start at the beginning. As I mentioned in yesterday’s blog, we did our covid test yesterday morning. They said they would email the results within 24 hours. So all day I’m obsessively checking email, waiting for the results. Finally, about 8:30 last night, I’m in the bathroom and Susan says her results are in. “What do they say, what do they say?” I ask. “I don’t know, I can’t read the email, it’s in Dutch!” was the reply. So Susan replies to the email and asks for it to be sent in English. Meanwhile my results email comes in, in English, followed by Susan’s again, this time in English. Great, I think, finally. I open the email, it says to click on the link to view the results, but that when you open the page a verification code will be sent to a certain cell phone #, which is needed to view the results. The problem is, the Dutch cell number I used to book the tests belonged to the relative of a friend, who lives in the Netherlands. I only used it because the test form required a Dutch cell #; I couldn’t submit the form without one. I specified in the comments field not to use the number, just to use email. Anyway, we now needed the code to access the results, and the code was sent to a cell phone we couldn’t access. Susan called the test centre, but although they were supposed to be open till 10 pm, nobody answered. So we both emailed back asking for the code to be sent to our Dutch cell numbers (we got SIM cards when we got to Amsterdam so we have Dutch numbers while we’re here). I once again kept obsessively checking email waiting for a reply, until I fell asleep.

There was no reply by the morning, so after another delicious breakfast supplied by our B&B host Katrien (and an extra hour of sleep as the time changed last night), we headed back to the test centre to sort it out. The women working there today were very helpful, and we were able to change the cell numbers so the codes were sent to our phones. We quickly accessed our results, and as expected they were both negative, and we have our travel certificates ready for Kenya. Whew, I am glad to have that sorted out! The joys of travelling during covid times.

Speaking of covid, here in Holland they have something called the “Corona pass”, which is needed to go to restaurants, bars, etc. It is proof of vaccination. But it only works for the Dutch, we can’t use it to upload our Canadian proof of vaccination. So for tourists, the only option is to hope the place you are going will accept your country’s proof of vaccination, or to get a rapid covid test, which is only good for 24 hours. So far we haven’t had a problem going anywhere. Several places haven’t asked at all, and the places that have, accepted our Canadian proof of vaccination. I wouldn‘t mind getting a rapid test (they are free), but you have to make an appointment in advance, and with the results only being valid for 24 hours, we would have to do it every day while we’re here.

Anyway, enough of covid tests! We didn’t have anything booked for today, except for our evening gay pub crawl. After our visit to the test centre this morning, we decided to go to the Amsterdam Museum. It was only a fairly short walk from the test centre. The museum is located in an old building that was previously a city orphanage. The museum is basically a history of Amsterdam, tracing the city’s history through the ages to modern times. There are lots of video displays which you watch (and listen to on the included audio guide). It was quite interesting, and we spent an enjoyable few hours there. There was quite a moving display about the persecution of the Jews during the German occupation, including of course, Anne Frank. There was a very detailed series of exhibition rooms on the Golden Carriage, which I gather is somewhat a controversial subject in Holland. The carriage is owned and used by the Dutch
Me in a shoeMe in a shoeMe in a shoe

There was a little kid in it before me ?
royal family for important occasions. It was made for Queen Wilhemina in 1898, as a tribute from the citizens of Amsterdam. There was, unbelievably, a fund raising campaign at the time, for citizens to donate money for this carriage. It is controversial because the painted panels on the carriage depict the Dutch colonies subservience to the country and to the royal family. The history of the Dutch colonies and the treatment of the colonized people was an important aspect of the Golden Carriage displays. The carriage itself is displayed in an outside courtyard.

After the museum, we walked to the Begijnhof, which is a lovely courtyard lined with houses around a church, which housed a community of Beguines (now it is subsidized housing for single women). I don’t think it actually was open today, but the door opened as we were there as someone was leaving, so we went in. There were several other tourists around also. I took a few photos but we didn’t stay long. It was raining at this point (it was quite nice in the morning, but clouded over later and rained on and off all day). I knew a famous place for “frites” was nearby, so we wandered around for a bit until we found it (called “Vleminckx Friteshuis”). There was a line-up, even in the rain. We each enjoyed a small cornet of fries (Susan with Belgian mayonnaise, and mine with a ketchup/mayo/onion topping). Yumm ?.

Our B&B host Katrien had recommended a place to us called “Wynand Fockink”, which is a distillery (of genever and many different liqueur), so we decided to go there next. It is kind of hidden away in a small alley, and it took us awhile to find it. We got there about ten to two, and it opened at 2 pm, so we watched the staff setting up the outdoor tables (with large umbrellas to shelter from the rain), and getting ready for customers. It is located in a very picturesque old building, and the interior is really teeny, so they need the outdoor tables. The tables had heaters built into their base, so it actually was quite cosy. We weren’t sure what to order, so we talked to the the friendly and helpful server and tried a few, and I ended up with a delicious sour cherry liqueur, and Susan chose an apricot liqueur (she also got a small beer). We plan on going back tomorrow to try another liqueur. After we left we realized it is only a few minutes away from our B&B, and now we know exactly how to get there!

I wanted to go to the “Our Lord in the Attic Museum”, which is located just down the street, so we headed there next, but unfortunately they were sold out for the day. I really didn’t think it would be so popular. They are closed tomorrow, so perhaps we will have to leave it for a future visit. It sounded interesting because it is a hidden church (in a businessman’s home), during the time when Catholicism was illegal in Holland (late 1500s to the late 1700s).

So we headed back to our B&B, made coffee, and I’ve been working on the blog. Now it’s off to the gay pub crawl, which starts at a gay bar called “PRIK” (it means bubbles in Dutch).

Ok, well it’s several hours later, and no gay pub crawl. We walked to the PRIK bar, and just before we got there it heavens opened and we got absolutely soaked by the incredibly heavy rain. I couldn’t believe how hard it was raining. The streets were full of big puddles. My Vessis got a good workout, but kept my feet dry. We got to the bar, and couldn’t see a guide anywhere. We went inside, and no guide, and the staff didn’t know anything about it. We ordered a beer and waited, and tried to find a number for the tour company (we booked through “Get Your Guide” but a local company actually provides the tours), with no luck. Susan used the chat function on the website, and the person tried to help, but about 6:35 we got an email saying the local company had cancelled the tour because of inclement weather! Over a 1/2 hour after it was supposed to start. How annoying! The local company is called “Oranje Umbrella Tours”. We’re definitely not booking anything with them in the future. Anyway, I had a nice gin and tonic and Susan had another beer, and then we walked back, stopping at a Chinese restaurant for some takeout. So it worked out just fine.

Tomorrow is our last full day in Amsterdam, and hopefully the weather will be a little better!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The FriteshuisThe Friteshuis
The Friteshuis

Even in the rain there was a line up.
Susan’s liquorSusan’s liquor
Susan’s liquor

They fill it to the brim so you have to lean over to take the first sip, before you pick it up.
They were very yummy!They were very yummy!
They were very yummy!

And warming on this rainy day.
Our B&BOur B&B
Our B&B

We are in the second set of windows from the top (the top is the attic).


31st October 2021

Vakantie
Sounds like a fun trip so far. Way to roll with the punches, don’t let those unexpected things affect your trip!
1st November 2021

We definitely don’t let things like that affect our trip, got to be flexible when you travel! We still had a great day in Amsterdam!
1st November 2021

Amsterdam:Covid tests and No Shows
We can't believe the day you two have had! You both are so resilient. Better days tomorrow. Great photos.
1st November 2021

No worries
Thanks Mom and Dad. Don’t worry, we still had a great day in Amsterdam!
2nd November 2021

Oranje Umbrella Tours
I'm sad your tour was cancelled. They need to get a bit more organized and let you know at least an hour before. I hope you reviewed them. Otherwise, it sounds like you are having a great time.
28th November 2021

Covid Tests
Gosh, that would have been a bit stressful for me too, waiting for the Covid test results and knowing that your trip to Kenya depended on them. So glad to read they came back, and negative too ? I'm sorry to read about the no-show tour guide. I find it amazing that on the travelling road, when such things happen and our plans go awry, that something else always seems to crop up which is also special - hope you enjoyed the drinks and the Chinese takeaway instead ?
28th November 2021

Covid tests
Yes, the issues with getting the COVID test results were a bit stressful at the time but it worked out just fine (things always seem to work out)! We were happy to head back to our comfy B&B with our Chinese take-away, and didn’t mind about the no-show guide in the end. As you know, you have to be flexible and take things as they come when travelling.
9th May 2022
Me in a shoe

Hilarious!
Have you even been to Amsterdam is you don't stand or sit in oversized clogs??? :D I'm now googling Vessis... they look like great travelling shoes.
9th May 2022
Me in a shoe

Hilarious!
Vessis are great travelling shoes Ren, very lightweight and breathable, but waterproof!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb