Amsterdam, A City Walk


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
August 20th 2021
Published: August 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

We needed a really long sleep, as we were jet lagged, and completely in a different time zone, +9 hours to be exact.

When we finally woke up, we needed to get down to breakfast at our scheduled time. Here, they take Covid seriously. In the breakfast room tables are separated so that guests need to schedule breakfast in order to accommodate everyone. We appreciate that they take Covid seriously.

We’d thought we would do the City Walk from Rick Steves but also thought that we could change plans if need be. With that in mind, we picked ourselves up and started to walk. We walked first to the train station, where the walk started and immediately found a concert we wanted to attend, but alas, we didn’t make it this evening.

From the train station we walked down the hill, stopping to look at one thing or another, but then we had to stop and buy Vlaamse Friets (French Fries) with mayo, something that we have loved eating in Belgium. These were just as good and a fix since it has been forever since we were in Belgium.

After taking a break and eating our friets we continued on the City Walk, stopping in Begijnhof. There are associations with the Pilgrims who came to America at this church that we found interesting. Additionally, the oldest house in Amsterdam is located in here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Reformed_Church,_Amsterdam

We did stop to buy a museum pass at the Niuwe Church which is only 100 years younger than the Oude Church.

We walked on, but then Rick Steves told us to stop and take the slanty elevator up to the top floor of a shopping mall. We did as we were told and found a wonderful 360 view of the city. The elevator reminded us a little of one to the top of the Eiffel Tower. There we had Irish Coffee with lots of Irish!

Feeling much relaxed we were going to continue our walk when we realized that it was nearly 5pm. We needed to go by the concert hall and just check on our tickets for tomorrow night’s concert. So, as the walk was nearly completed, we hurried down to the concert hall.

Having verified how to get our tickets tomorrow night we returned to the Flower District, on the City Walk. It was on our way back to the hotel anyway. As we were walking along, I noticed a small, hole-in-the-wall restaurant that said they had gluten free pancakes. Now pancakes are a really big deal here. There are many pancake restaurants and I’d told Dale earlier that we should stop sometime so he could get some. Well now we could both eat pancakes.

As we were standing outside the restaurant the owner came out and we started talking. We told him that we were actually trying to find the herring as referenced in the guide. He pointed out the herring stand, and explained that we needed to come in the morning when the herring stand is open with fresh herring. We said that we’d walk around and come back for pancakes.

We came back to the Pancake Company, after walking around the canal. The owner made us special pancakes, little dollar size ones with fresh fruit, ice cream and whipped cream. OMG!!!!! We must go back.

We were very proud of our diet today! Potatoes (friets), dairy products (Irish Coffee with lots whipped cream), dairy products in the form of whipped cream and ice cream and fruit with our pancakes. Dairy products include lots of calcium, protein and the all-essential trace minerals plus fresh fruit. Good thing we don’t eat like this at home every day. But on the plus side, we did walk over 5 miles today, so we hopefully, walked off all of the fat, or some of it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



26th August 2021

nice blog
To know about us,visit: https://rudrakshahub.com/

Tot: 0.515s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.1494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb