Amsterdammit


Advertisement
Published: April 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Amsterdam can be an intimidating city at first.



It is fast paced. It is loud. It can be a bit dirty and trashy and bawdy: it can also be sleazy if you turn down the right alley. It is bars and coffee shops and pubs and cafes and smoke and music and noise. It’s shops and trade without end. It’s food stalls and smells and crowds and people and an occasional person that less sensitive people might refer to as a “freak”.



It’s gables and bridges and cobblestones and streets and gentle bends. It’s eager tourists and gruff locals and friendly smiles and stares off into space.



But it is so much more than that...



The common denominator in Amsterdam is fun and the majority of the people crowding the streets are in good moods and generally open. There are lots of small, celebratory groups roaming the streets; just as many hen parties as groups of young men on their bachelor weekends, visiting from England and Italy, who can be loud, but are generally friendly and fun. They are clearly hitting the coffee shops and bars and enjoying the carefree attitude of the city.



Yet there are also families and older couples venturing into the Red Light District for a peek; small packs of cruise ship visitors with maps giggling as they walk up the famous alley of windows with girls trying to get their attention. There is an air of permissiveness in the streets and a sexual energy which seems to pulse out of the gay district.



But don’t let any of that intimidate you.



Other than pick pockets, the city is relatively safe and tourist friendly no matter where you venture. The biggest danger to a visitor here is learning the rhythm of the bikes and for walking along the sidewalks. Keep your eyes open. Read signs and look both ways. Do not wander in the streets without being aware of where the bikes are at. Do not cross the streets without being aware where the bikes are at. Don’t ever forget where the bikes are at. Once you learn that rule, you’re pretty good in Amsterdam.



Moral of that story.. learn to repeat “Where are the bikes?”



For all of the carnival style glory by the Dam and the Red Light District, the true Amsterdam, which is elegant and stately, can be found in every neighborhood. This city is full of some of the most interesting architecture and engineering marvels; one is constantly aware that Amsterdam itself is a living, breathing museum. Just roam. Just walk. You don’t even need that map. Amsterdam is a fan and the fan is your hand.



The legendary canals deserve every word and picture dedicated to their beauty: their legends well earned. You won’t soon forget the words gable and hook.

Just meandering from street to street, canal to canal, the grace of the city will show itself and you can stop for a coffee or a beer, stop in at a coffee shop or have a great meal. In Amsterdam, you can do anything you want; and you should.





Be sure that your stay includes a canal tour... if you can do a daytime and a nighttime tour, even better. I could do those tours over and over and over.



This is definitely a city for art lovers and thankfully the renovation of the Rijksmuseum is almost finished. It’s good to have an idea of what things you want to see: have an “inside/outside” list of what you would like to do. We did a Segway tour of the town on the first day and it gave us such a great overview of the city in a very fun way (just be careful - Segway can be dangerous and you operate on city streets! Where are the bikes?)



NOTE: If the Anne Frank House is on your list, get your tickets ahead of time or go first thing in the morning.



This is a place to use your street smarts: don’t talk to strangers (even friendly ones), don’t lay your articles openly on a table, don’t leave your bags unzipped or unattended, etc.



We walked most everywhere in Amsterdam, but the public street cars are easy to use. You can purchase tickets on board or at machines as one hour or daily tickets - just be sure to punch in and out of the trams/buses. Be careful as you enter/exit. Where are the bikes?



For people who are fit and can easily handle their bags it is very simple to use the trains to get from the airport into Centraal Station and then take a taxi or street car to your local hotel. If you can’t be bothered, or you need a bit of assistance traveling, take a taxi from the airport directly to your hotel - it will be expensive but a good luxury.



Thieves target people who look confused or in chaos. I always have the address of my hotel or taxi destination printed in extra large print on a completely separate piece of paper - that way I can hand it to the driver and there is no confusion. Regardless of how you travel, always keep your eyes open (and on your bags) as you get in and out of a taxi or tram. Never leave anything unattended. Thieves take advantage of confused or lost people. It really does only take a minute.



With all that said, I love this city and could easily live here for a year or two. Who knows, maybe a Friends of Dave Tours Coffee House tour is on the list of potential tours for 2014!

Ha ha ha



In one of my next blogs I will talk about accommodations in Amsterdam.

Advertisement



15th April 2013

A Great B & B
Two blocks from the Rijks Plaza, at Ruysdaelkade 75-2 1072 AL Amsterdam Netherlands +31 20 6790485, near lots of local/international, hole-in-the-wall yummy restaurants and street stands, but only for those willing to climb 3 flights that feel like straight up, is the "Between Art and Kitsch" B & B. Irene and Ebo are fantastic hosts and offer great suggestions for what to see and how to get there. They live on the second floor, so you don't have to go far with any questions or concerns that might come up. We were there for 5 glorious days in mid June a few years back. Walking, bussing, boating and even taking the train to Anselm for a day--mostly in clouds and misty weather, we loved every magical moment. The "Market" just a bus ride or long walk away, was an amazing combination of flower, farmer and flea.

Tot: 0.369s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb