Waganingen, Rhenen & lots of punctures


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Brabant
August 29th 2004
Published: December 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lorenza poses for the cameraLorenza poses for the cameraLorenza poses for the camera

Lorenza took a short turn doubling Bianca
A day of bicycle riding. After pedaling through Waganingen, then along the Rhine River, we found ourselves in the town of Rhenen. This town was once the home of the king’s palace. The church here has been destroyed so many times by fire or bombings that after rebuilding it a number of times the local decided it must be bad luck to complete the building works, so they have left one brick out of the building so it is technically not completed (seems to have broken the run of bad luck so far).

The museum in Rhenen was also very interesting for such a small town, with a lot of Bronze Age items and primitive jeweler. They also had some postcards with a painting done by Bert's grandfather on them, one entitled "Evacuation of Rhenen in 1940" depicting the inhabitants escaping by boat with the Luftwaffe flying in low over the town. The original of this picture is in Bert and Bianca's home.

While on our bike tour we cam across a lot of strict Protestants from the German Reformation Church (I think?). All the women dressed in black with hats, the men in suits and ties and the children in very somber outfits (looked a bit like a scene for the 1890's).

Now the fun part of our bike ride began! After having ice creams Bianca realised she had lost the key to her bike lock. We left her bike at a friend of Bert's place not far down the road. So, now Bianca was on the back with Bert riding. On the banks of the Rhine River, Bert's bike had a puncture and then Bianca was on the back with me, while Bert pushed his bike back to Rhenen.

In Rhenen Bert fixed the puncture and we set off again, with Bianca back as a passenger on his bike. That didn't last long; Bert's tyre now had a slow leak. So, Bianca was back as my passenger. When she first jumped on the back while I was moving I almost swerved in front of the oncoming traffic. We turned back again and decided to have dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Rhenen.

After dinner we cycled back to Waganingen, about 10km with Bianca as my passenger again. Lorenza decided to have a go with her on the back for the last two kilometers. We
Proof I can ride a bicycleProof I can ride a bicycleProof I can ride a bicycle

Hey I did spend 10 years as a postie on a bicycle you know!
finally made it back to Bert and Bianca's at who knows what time, very exhausted but laughing at our adventures.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

A break from the rideA break from the ride
A break from the ride

The cafe where Bianca lost the key to her bike lock
Puncture 1Puncture 1
Puncture 1

Too many hands?
Puncture 1Puncture 1
Puncture 1

No do it this way!
RhenenRhenen
Rhenen

Bert points out the postcard by his grandfather
RhenenRhenen
Rhenen

The church that is never finished
Puncture 2Puncture 2
Puncture 2

How do you say "bugger" in Dutch?


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb