Last Day in the Netherlands


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Limburg » Maastricht
May 27th 2011
Published: May 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone!

We have been on trips the last two days so I haven't had access to a computer to write you all. First things first...ALLERGIES! ugh. The locals have said the weather has been very different over here so everyone's allergies have been really bad. But on the bright side it is raining today so hopefully that will help.

So Tuesday we had a city walk in Maastricht and saw all the local attractions such as the St. Servaas Basilica, the city gate, the fort, etc. It was quite interesting and I got a lot of good pictures, unfortunately I haven't been able to load them. We then had a fun night out on the town at the local bars with the two students who are studying here from Washburn.

Wednesday we traveled to the famous city of Amsterdam, known for the red light disctrict, the city canals and well....you know what else, lol. We first visited the Anne Frank House which was very informational and overwhelming at times. I definitely got chills and felt the fear from her writings and the movies they had displayed along the path through the house. There were 8 people in hiding at her house and they all got eventually got caught after living there for almost 2 years. The only one that survived was the the dad, Otto Frank. Anne died about 2 weeks before the liberation, so sad. 103,000 Jews were killed.

We then went on a canal boat tour which was very fascinating and pretty. All the houses are right next to each other and very tall because their space is limited here. We then went and saw the famous red light district, all I can say is wow...it is a real thing. Not to mention it is right across the street from a Church. You don't really believe it happens until you see it first hand. Then we toured the city on our own, we were so sad because we couldn't find the "I Amsterdam" sign. But we stopped and had some pizza and wine and got a few souvenirs.

Thursday we visited the Air Traffic Control Center that was some what interesting. We were all pretty tired though. We then went to the Marfraten Memorial War Cemetary that was awesome. So beautiful there, also got some really good pictures. Then we went to the Tree-Countries Corner at Vaals where you can be at three places at once, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium. We climbed the tower to see the countryside, very scary for someone afraid of heights(ME!). It was sooooo windy up there but pretty sight.

This morning we had class about social cohesion that was very interesting, as it pertained more to the business side of things. We learned that everyone here pays 40% taxes, and that includes health care coverage. Also it was very interesting to hear they do have national healthcare and are leaning out of that and becoming more individualized because it is starting to not work and they dont have funding for it. But in the states, we are doing teh opposite...so it isn't very promising for us in my eyes.

We are going to see the Hangover II tonight at the Cinema and then headed out on the town for our last night here in the Netherlands. Then we are going to Bruges, Belgium this weekend so I will try to write again on Monday.

Miss you all!!

Love,
Ashley

Advertisement



27th May 2011

Miss you
Sounds like you are having fun. We miss you hear but know you're having the experience of a lifetime. Be careful. xoxo Heather

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb