History & A Caravan


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Drenthe
July 20th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.9244, 6.79119

Our first day out with the Vonks, and a casual 380 kilometers covered. From Heteren, northbound, first to the town of Orvelte. This was a historic Dutch community, largely untouched from the 1800s onwards. We enjoyed a packed lunch then set off to explore the village, complete with cobblestone roads and homes with thatched rooves. We took a tour of an open residence, with a friendly and informative guide in a small group. We learned of the life of a wealthy Boer/farming family. From furniture, firewood and sleeping arrangements to chamber pots, witches balls and preserving food, it was all interesting stuff. The tour was nicely supplemented by a film in a stable coverted to theatre. Whilst in Dutch, we could follow much of the plot, of an American lady travelling to Orvelte to learn of the reason of her Oma moving to America. It was a good film, with some unique special effects.
After wandering Orvelte a little longer, we drove on to the Hunnebedden location and museum in Borger. Here is the location of the largest and grandest Hundebedden in the Netherlands, Number 26 The Hunebedden, or Dolmen Stones, are mysterious and ancient grave sites, made of giant stones, dating as far back and beyond Stonehenge. They are found all around Northern Holland, in the vicinity of Drenthe and Emmen. We spent some time in the museum and watching a film, learning about the history of the stones and life of those that lived in their time, over 5,000 years ago. Afterwards, some time to look at the stones themselves. Unlike Stonehenge, you can touch and stand among these, which was a good experience.
On to dinner, and the chance to meet more family; Cor (Jan Vonks brother), his wife Carla, his daughter Lisanne and her boyfriend Harold. We spent a few hours at their new caravan in Schoonloo, which translates to beautiful place in the woods. That, it was indeed. It was nice sitting in the sun, enjoying some food and drink, lekker croquettes the clear highlight. After a stroll around the Caravan Park, it was time to say goodbye and make the two hour drive back to Heteren. We arrived home around 11.30. A great first day with the Vonks, and great to meet some more family.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Delftware and Witches BallDelftware and Witches Ball
Delftware and Witches Ball

Supposed to ward off witches, as they see their own reflection
Pear LiquorPear Liquor
Pear Liquor

The pear gets in the bottle as the bottle is placed on a branch.
Old fashioned weather stationOld fashioned weather station
Old fashioned weather station

If the Stone is wet = Rain If the Stone is white = Snow If the Stone is swaying = Storm If the Stone is not seen = Dark If the Stone is still = Sunny If the Stone is fallen = Earthquake!
EvolutionEvolution
Evolution

From hunter gatherers to Joke


Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb