Kotor


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Kotor
July 29th 2017
Published: July 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today we docked in Kotor and joined with six other passengers to take a tour of Montenegro. We learnt Montenegro borders Croatia and Bosnia to the north, Serbia to the northeast, Kosovo to the east, and Albania to the south. To the west of Montenegro is the Adriatic Sea. Tourism had suffered greatly from Yugoslavia's tragic civil war in the 1990s. In recent years, along with the stabilized situation in the region, tourism in Montenegro has begun to recover and it is certainly a beautiful country to visit.

We drove to the old town of Budva, where we walked through the cobbled streets. We continued up to former Montenegrin capital Cetinje a small town with unique cultural heritage, famous Monastery, court, royal theatre, and an excessive amount of embassies. Winding up the mountain to Njegusi, along the way we stopped at a small taverna to enjoy the national products of brandy, cheese and ham for lunch. The brandy shot took Alex's breath away but Ron was able to manage a second and then a very good local beer with lunch.

We travelled on to Boka bay and Perast, a protected Unesco town, completely built by old sailors. We saw two lovely islands "St Djordje" and "Lady of the rocks." Seamen of Perast use to load the ships captured from their enemies with stones and sink them on a shoal. On one of the islands formed in this way a small church was built on the place where, according to the legend, the icon of Virgin Mary was found floating at the surface of the sea.

We both agreed we would love to return Montenegro if we had a chance to do so.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb