Montenegrin Adventure


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Budva
May 31st 2011
Published: May 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, for my last full day in Montenegro, a group of people staying at my hostel (me, an Australian, two Icelanders and a Canadian) rented out a car and went for a drive into the mountains. Definitely one of the best things I've done on this trip so far. We drove south along the beautiful coastal road, passing the famous old town (sadly now privately-owned and not open to the public) of Sveti Stefan. We then visited the enormous Skadar Lake, which straddles the Montenegro-Albania border, before heading inland into the Montenegrin hinterland, driving for hours along winding country lanes which afforded fantastic views. Out there in the mountains we encountered wild tortoises plodding along the road, as well as some huge brown snakes basking in the sun. We also went to the wonderful, isolated village of Rijeka Crnojevića (not to be confused with the city of Rijeka in Croatia), before going to the former Montenegrin capital, a really charming town called Cetinje, where we had dinner. After this we went on to the current capital, Podgorica, to drop the Icelanders off at their next hostel. It was already dark when we arrived there, but from what little I saw of the city it was uninspiring (no-one really recommends visiting, so I wasn't surprised, and we didn't bother looking around before heading back to Budva).
At the time of publishing I have no photos to upload, but hopefully at some point in the near future I will add some, as all the others had cameras with them. That said, I feel that no pictures will be able to do justice to the stunning landscapes and enchanting atmosphere of the Montenegrin mountains.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

55
5

Lake Skadar
77
7

Lake Skadar


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb