Oh, I do like Monaco...


Advertisement
Monaco's flag
Europe » Monaco » Monte Carlo
April 9th 2011
Published: May 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our last 2 nights in France were spent in the French Riviera, staying in the village of Antibes.

Getting really into the rhythm of the Contiki ways, breakfast at 7am, bags to coach at 7:45am. Waved goodbye to the Chateau at 8am, bound for our next 2 nights down the far south of the country. Took us a 6 hour journey to get to Antibes. There were thankfully washing machines on site in Antibes, almost down to my last set of clean clothes!

Upon arrival, a nice surprise waiting for us once we put our bags in the cabin accommodation. We all strolled up to the breakfast room, no it wasn't actually breakfast, nor would you want to eat these for brekkie either! Contiki on-site crew brought plates of... wait for it... Cuisses de Grenouille, otherwise known as FROGS LEGS! These unlike the snails were horrible, absolutely rancid - tasted of fish, with a disgusting after taste too!

Now tonight we got all dapper, was our opportunity to rub shoulders with the rich and famous - we headed to a Monaco casino! Along the way, still in France, we stopped at an incredible lookout with amazing views of the water. Katie and Mark cracked open a few bottles of champagne for us Contikigoers and we got into the Monaco feeling! Took a really lovely scenic route along the waterfront, but also past the site of Grace Kelly's death. We learnt a little about this small principality, to live their you actually need to be granted permission through an application process. Income needs to also be discussed if you had desires to live there.

Outside the casino, we had a good line up of Ferraris, Lamborghinis & Porsches... strangely enough, I didn't see a little blue Proton Satria parked in the car park! I, alongside a few of the rest of the crew played €20 in the pokies, won €8 of it back again - so at least I went back to the campsite feeling only a little disappointed! Was funny though looking at some of the Australians gambling in there, wearing jeans and T-shirts standing beside the wealthy in their business attire!

The next morning, was an early start so I could get my washing out of the way. Left it to dry on the clothes line and wandered off to the metro station with a few of the others. We went to Nice, now buying a ticket was a hassle. The ticket machine obviously wasn't in English, and none of us could understand what we were doing. Getting help from the locals didn't prove this to be any easier either, we ended up jumping the train, praying for no transit officers to demand tickets on the train!

In Nice, we strolled up and down the pebbly beach, past all the locals walking their dogs - there is something about the French and poodles, they love them. Felt a little old school with all the people riding rollerskates in the bike lanes also. Had a slow walk down the main shopping street, and waited in line at the supermarket for about 25 minutes! Wandered around the markets, an old chateau and all the little cultural shops the French Riviera has to offer.

Back to the campsite where we all relaxed outside the on-site bar, ready for the following day where we head to Italy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb