Monaco


Advertisement
Monaco's flag
Europe » Monaco » Monte Carlo
October 19th 2010
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

October 19, 2010-Monaco

We arrive at Monaco after a beautiful sail past Nice. The Maritime Alps have a mantle of snow at their summit but it is warm on board. Today I take the Hop-on Hop-off bus and actually hop off.
The tiny principality of Monaco is the second smallest independent state in the world, the Vatican being the smallest. It consists of two old sections connected by ever increasing reclaimed land area where the port is located.
My first hop off is in Monte Carlo the area on the right hand side of the harbour. The stop is at the Hotel ‘de Paris, the exotic gardens and the Monte Carlo Casino. It is a beautiful day, warm sunshine and fluffy clouds.
The garden is one of the few open spaces and is before the Casino. Today, a fashion shoot is underway and as the model struggles to keep warm and keep her dress up, the photographers frame their shots and adjust the lighting. I watch for a while but it is a long, boring process. I wander pass Cartier and see the most elaborate and ostentatious diamond bracelet and necklace. I am assuming that the price is in the hundreds of thousands of Euros. I pass the Hotel where the rooms start at 400e and dinner begins at 220e and the Casino that charges 10e for the privilege of loosing your money. I expected the Hotel to be on the beach but it wasn’t. Guess I watched To Catch a Thief to often. Since my gambling is of the $1, $2 variety and I have a bed for the night, I hop on the bus and head for the next stop The Rock.
The Rock is on the left hand side of the harbour and it is where the Prince’s Palace is located. I arrive in time to see the changing of the guard. The men at the Tomb of the Unknown have nothing to worry about but it was a colorful spectacle all the same. I wander through the narrow streets lined with shops and café’s. It is charming but it doesn’t seem like a real living town.
Hopping on again I ride to the Oceanographic Institute established by Prince Rainier’s father (or grandfather) and supported during his lifetime by Jacques Cousteau. Many of the exhibition spaces are being renovated but no matter, the aquarium is open to view and is one of the best I’ve seen. I see all my fishy friends and many that are new to me. The corals are diverse and healthy and many species are new to me as well. The morays, green, spotted, yellow and a new guy are active. The sea horses are cute as always. The sharks are really pre-historic looking. A trio of lionfish are the best specimens I have ever seen. What really makes this exhibition work is the numerous viewing opportunities, the diversity of specimens and the healthy environment. Nor surprising, this is my longest visit and it’s now time for a bite to eat.
Heading to the tender stop we ride along the harbour and the magnificent yachts moored there. One opulent one is named the Lady Nag Nag; ex-wife or mother-in-law? It would be hard to calculate the current value of the boats in port but I would certainly be satisfied with whatever it is, or even the income that the investment of that value would generate. Every foot of buildable space is built upon except for the few gardens. High rises dominate. The traffic is incredible and the streets winding and narrow. I can’t begin to imagine what the Grand Prix must be like. I did learn that the drivers change gears around 4,000 times during the race.
Back on board, I change into something comfortable, call room service and have a Caesar salad with bay shrimp and a glass of verdejo (Spanish white wine) on my balcony looking toward the shore. I read my book and enjoy the soft motion of the sea. What do those yacht owners have that I don’t except lots and lots of money, maybe? I can enjoy my snack delivered to my balcony, sip a very nice wine, wander up to the pool or hot tub or just relax and read. Yes, they can impress their peers and escape from the peasants but right now, in this place, I have it as good as anyone.

Skipped dinner tonight after a short nap and met Bob & Beverly for the show. Cantare is comprised of four young men with wonderful voices who sing solo and harmonize a variety of singing styles. Very entertaining. The only complaint I have is that the sound level is much to loud. We sat in the back row and if we were any closer my ears would be bleeding.
Tomorrow we dock in Livorno, Italy and I will be visiting the Cinque Terre.
Nighty night!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb