Monaco... Grace Kelly and the Prince


Advertisement
Monaco's flag
Europe » Monaco » Monte Carlo
September 19th 2007
Published: September 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bonjour tout le monde. This will be my last chance to update for a bit as we are travelling a bunch over the next bit before heading home. Today we ventured to Monaco making this our 4th country on our little 3 week visit... but getting there wasn't that easy. There were even a brawl between some men at the bus station trying to get on a bus because it was late... Nice!

Any way, almost an hour late our bus arrived and we headed East again to Eze, a medieval town atop a hill. We walked through the backstreets and alleys and admired the views amid the bougainvillia (sp?) trees etc. This was a short visit because our destination of the day was Monaco. We arrived and quickly noticed how the cars in this the 2nd smallest country in the world, are all Rolls Royces', Mercedes and other top of the line cars... We past the Monte Carlo casino, but of course didn't go in. We instead went to an exhibit on Grace Kelly at the Grimaldi Forum. This is the first time her belongings, dresses, letters, photographs, and trust me they had them all on display were revealed. I didn't know much about Grace aside from her hollywood work, but it is clear that the people of Monaco love her... their Princess. There was an elaborate multimedia and creatively designed exhibition that was very informative. Grace Kelly was a gorgeous woman throughout her whole life who seemed to be kept grounded by her unstoppable love for her family. It was neat to see that.

We then walked down to the Port and of course the Monaco Yacht show was on which made the port very busy with very expensive yachts and their owners... hilarious to watch. We then climbed up the steep hill to the Palais Princier and went for a tour inside. What a gorgeous palace, with italian paintings, fabric covered walls, chandeliers, portraits... such regalities. It is still the official residence of Prince Albert the 2nd still resides there with his family. To note, every shop in Monaco has a photograph of him proudly displayed. They love their Prince A very nice end to our afternoon in Monaco.

I would have liked to have spent some more time there... perhaps on another visit.

Tomorrow we are heading north to Lyon and then back to Paris on the weekend.

Take care... wish you were here.

bises,
Katy (and Jenn too)

Advertisement



20th September 2007

Sounds fantastic
Katy, Your adventures sound amazing!! wish I was there! AC

Tot: 0.32s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0885s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb