Valletta


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta
August 31st 2014
Published: August 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.8997, 14.5147

Boarding an old Arrive bus, not a bendy one though, they were short-lived here and have made their way to the bus graveyard, we made our way down to Sliema and then Valletta. I'd describe Sliema as the cosmopolitian side of Malta. Think new apartment complexes, a large shopping mall and general chain stores (M&S!). Here is also the main tourist ferry and bus departure zone. After struggling in the heat and Chris using his diplomatic skills to bargain a 1 1/2 hour trip around Valetta harbour, we set sail. This tour was one of the best attractions in Malta, being full of historical information and close ups of every tributary and both The Grand Harbour and Marsamext Harbour. Many ships from both Africa and Asia use(d) Valletta as an opportunity to rest, shelter from bad weather, re-stock and to launch military offences. Not surprisingly the harbour contained many well preserved forts and old British naval bases. One of the best diving sites in Valletta was a British submarine which had been torpedoed and sunk during the war.

After this, we decided that being on a boat was far cooler (quite literally!) than being on land so we boarded the 5 minute shuttle ferry between Sliema and Valetta. Valletta, although a capital city, is actually more like a town when compared to British cities (or a village when compared to Chinese ones!). Like much of Malta, exploring Valletta meant walking up (and then down again) small, narrow streets with mustard coloured houses. The limestone used to build most of the exterior of these houses is a mustard colour, whilst the stronger, less aesthetically pleasing white limestone forms the interior. We found the Cathedral which was predictably closed so walked around for a while before making our way back. A large structure and very ornately decorated it was well worth a visit.

Whilst walking around Valletta we also stumbled upon a watch tower which had amazing views out to the entrance to the Grand Harbour and also to the fishermen who lived in one room porta-cabins just below and on the shore line. This was totally different to what we'd seen so far - the fairly large houses set down small streets. The port of Valletta has space to hold large cruise ships, huge cargo ships and super-yachts. There were several large dry docks, a couple holding large cargo ships. Definitely one of the most prominent industries for the island.

Finding the high street, literally just one main street with several smaller off-shoots revealed that the brand name stores were most definitely mainly based in Sliema. Valletta was home to many restaurants and smaller, independent, 'one man and his band' type stores. Tired from all the walking, the heat and the shopping, we navigated the unhelpfully unsigned bus station and fought our way onto a bus out of Valletta - I knew all that time spent fighting to get on a bus in China would prove a useful skill one day!

Not enjoying our crowded bus, we decided to get off at St Julian's, a touristy town about 20 minutes from Valetta and 40 from our final destination. Here we wandered past the lido and the water polo players and found a lovely restaurant from where we could watch children canon themselves off a plank into the sea and a local choir/band and their vicar set up for their outdoor sermon. Very peaceful and our first introduction into Maltese festivities.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb