Malta in November : Part 3


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta » Malta
January 13th 2015
Published: January 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

I am indeed lucky that two of my kids live in such lovely locations and so it was time to take a trip see Richard in Malta in November, this time in the company of my dear brother Trevor and Christine.

Staying some nights at the Fortina Spa Hotel we had that amazing view of Valetta across the harbour from Sliema. There seem to be two opinions on Malta - a bit like Marmite , you like it or hate it. I can only thinks that those who hate it have had a most unfortunate experience ..maybe they had a bad hotel, bad weather, went to all the wrong places. This is my 4 th time there and each time I like it more... There is so much to do and explore from cruising the 3 harbours to walking the streets of Valetta where you can come across a plaque which tells you this was Napoleons headquarters. The walled fortifications around the cities of Valetta, M'dina and Victoria (Gozo) are amazing and if you are interested in history the settlements there and ancient ruined temples go back 1000 years before the pyramids in Egypt. In 2018 Valetta will be European City of culture so lots of conservation work going everywhere.

Tip ... Take the ferry across from Sliema harbour to Valetta - a few euros and if you don't want to walk up to the main square there is usually a red mini bus waiting and he takes you up and saves your legs for a euro.

It's a Catholic country and they say there is a church for every day of the year and none so fabulous as St John Co Cathedral in Valetta .. You cannot fail to be awed when you enter to see the floor covered in macabre marble tombstones 400 tombs of Knights of St John, the walls carved in blue and gold and the painted vaulted ceiling !!! Stunning. Added to this if you are an art buff there are some Carravagios to marvel at .. The Beheading of John the Baptist and also St Jerome at his writing. An audio guide here is a must to get the most out of your visit.

The Three Harbours cruise is a very good trip with lots of information and a visit to M'dina takes you right back to hundreds of years ago as you walk its streets ... Go at night too if you can.... There's a very nice Indian restaurant within the city walls.

Trevor and Chris loved all the sights of Malta and we weren't finished yet .. Hiring a car with my trusty Sally Satnav at the ready i drove us North to the ferry and across to the little Island of Gozo. This was the last week of November but we couldn't have had better weather .. Sunny and warm most days .. Only one rainy day. The spectacular cliffs and rocks of Gozo have been a backdrop recently to film Game of Thrones ... the Azure Window, Dwerja, is beautiful and of course the perfect place for a picnic ... Well we always have to have a picnic at some time on these trips. A short walk across to the inland sea where it looked much calmer than on my previous visit had Chris and I musing about a little boat trip and it was the best €4 you could spend on a boat trip, in and out of little caves and round the great rock we went ... Fabulous.

I like staying in Xlendi - a lovely cove with a few hotels and great seafood restaurants right on the waterfront. And in November you can pick up a bargain .. And you know I am always looking for them. Little shops selling lace and wool jumpers and such friendly locals make for a really relaxing break away from the hustle and bustle of Valletta or Sliema.

On our rainy day we were in the capital of Gozo the city of Rabat (Victoria) .. Lots of work also going on and many of the streets around the citadel being pedestrianised ... Wandering the back streets is a real treat and you cannot get lost ! There are great little museums in the cItadel although not all were open because of the massive renovation works. As always if you asked a question of one of the friendly museum guides you were treated to some great stories none more so than at the T' Kola windmill. At the ruined temple Gigantia there is a new exhibition centre and you can get really close to this World Heritage Monument and gaze in awe at the construction with its massive stones.

Tip ... Once on Gozo the local buses are a good deal ..it's almost impossible to park in Victoria .. €1.50 for all day travel is quite a deal.

So there you have it ..apart from a family week in Cumbria in December ..thats my trips for 2014 accounted for. Sorry it took me so long to get up to date and I hope you enjoy reading about what I was up to.

Must stop now and plan what to do in 2015.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

imageimage
image

Happiness is a 4€ boat trip


13th January 2015

malta
Dear Lynn We always enjoy reading your blogs. We are in Palm Springs for January and most of February .In May we will house trade to Spain and France We sold our house to a young couple w two children. Downsizing to the Alki condo was a challenge. Warmly Bob and Marti
13th January 2015

Lynne's escape from January weather here on the Sussex coast.
A good read after my busy day at work. Love all your travel tips & gives me ideas for travel in the future. Geraldine x
13th January 2015

sounds like a wonderful adventure filled year
Many thanks Lynne for your fabulous posts, not least the information-packed blog on Malta. Have you thought of working as a guide? You're fast becoming an expert. Your keen interest is contagious. Hope to organise a catch up somewhere this year. Big hugs . xx
17th January 2015
image

Marvelous Malta!
Your description and photos of Malta make it quite an alluring destination, and I could gaze on this photo forever. The boat rides and history sound wonderful. I also love the details you catch--doors and doorknockers, floors and tomb mosaics and the breathtaking decorations in St John Co Cathedral. Looking forward to your next adventure!
1st February 2015

Malta
4th time there and still loving it. As a fellow world traveler it speaks volumes that you have been back 4 times! Can't wait until we can get there to explore. We will use your blog as our guide once we get there. Hopefully sooner than later.
1st February 2015

Malta in future
I can always meet you there !!!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb