A short visit to Malta


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta » Malta » St Julians
March 15th 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Back in March, Scott and I took at long weekend to Malta (I was between jobs at BP and Capgemini). We flew out on easyjet, not that pleasant, to Malta which is just off Italy in the med. We got some good weather for our 4 night stay in St Julian, a few bays around from the walled capital of Valletta. One of the days we did a hop-on-hop-off bus around the south eastern parts of the island of Malta. Valletta was really pretty especially the three cities across from the bay; beautiful old house and super yachts. After that we drove through vineyards to a quant fishing village; Marsaxlokk, the bay was fill of little fishing boats with big eye’s on them to protect the fisherman. Then we drove up the west coast visiting some ancient ruins, which were half under renovation, so we had a lot of time on the windy coats waiting for the next bus. That evening we had a lovely sunset drink at the new Hilton bar over looking a very exclusive apartment / marina complex.

We spent the afternoon walking around Valletta after I got in my first 35km training run and a spot of sunbathing. We visited some shops and watched a beautiful sunset over the three cities. The following day we took the bus and ferry across to Gozo. We hiked along the coast, it was a share drop to the ocean. It was a strange situation as there was no track and little huts all over the place, after getting lost and wading through farm weeds up to our stomachs we got onto the road and luckily ran into a local guide. Who told us we were heading in the right direction and ‘not to worry about the men in the huts, as they wont shoot us’ … they wont SHOOT US… oh good! The EU had banned the bird hunting which was a major past time of the Maltese population. So all the hunters were very nervous, and apparently bird lovers pretended to be hikers and then busted them. YIKES, so we scooted quickly to the hole in the rock and just managed to get the last bus back to the ferry, whew. After another lovely traditional meal out we headed home, relaxed and refreshed.

PHOTOS



Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb