Skopje, Macedonia


Advertisement
Macedonia's flag
Europe » Macedonia » Skopje
August 12th 2007
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
I am using a strange keyboard that has y and z switched. Try to overlook that if I have spelling errors with those letters. I also cant use an apostrophe or quotation marks.
Walt and I walked over the Old Stone Bridge and explored the Ottoman section of Skopje. A young couple was exiting the Orthodox Church after getting married. Two musicians serenaded them as they left the church. The Kale Fortress overlooks this section of town. Only3 of its original 70 towers remain. This city is 2000 years old and has suffered many floods and earthquakes. When buildings have been rebuilt, modern architectural designs have been chosen that really dont fit in with the old European style buildings. The train station is one of the worst designs. It is a big, gray, ugly monstrocity. In most of the E. European countries, there are more cafes for drinking coffee and eating pastries than places to have meals. We dont meet many Americans,but we do meet English speaking individuals. At our hotel, I met a lady from Hollywood who is in Skopje making the movie, The Night of the Comet. Our hotel had a casino, but Walt was not allowed to go in because he had on shorts. We have seen lots of casinos in the countries that we have visited. I went in just to look around and saw only 2 customers.
There are many Orthodox people here and a large number of Muslims. Many of the Muslim women wear long coats that are either beige or gray. They appear to be made of a thin polyester fabric and button all the way up from their ankles to their neck. They wear a silk headscarve of gray or brown with the coat and a dress underneath. The Orthodox members seem to go to church every day to pray, light candles, leave flowers on the altar, etc. I have been in several of the churches of different sizes and they have all been beautiful!
The shopkeepers make little effort to make a sale. They are not particularly friendly and are not interested in bartering. I have not seen many handmade items for sale. It is very hot here and many places are not air conditioned. The trains do not have AC and most taxis do not. We are drinking lots of bottled water.
Take care,
Everette

Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb