August 10 2015 Struga to Ohrid


Advertisement
Macedonia's flag
Europe » Macedonia » Ohrid
August 10th 2015
Published: May 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Internet hadn't been fixed by the time we left for a very short cycle to Ohrid. The route goes along the edge of Lake Ohrid and past a beach named after several of my friends (photo attached). Apparently when the tide rises at this beach it take a while to drop.
Along the route a Formula one car Macedonia style past us... Just. See photo.
On another subject we've also noticed that apart from not caring for the countryside their dental work seems to take a back seat as well. Most of the people we've met don't smile as the reason is that they've not got many teeth left and the surviving toothy pegs are a mixture of colours and sizes and which generally placed in random areas of the gums. One guy just needed a white tooth for a full snooker set. (Red, yellow, brown, blue.... You get it!)
We arrived at Ohrid and after one nice hotel stating that they were full lol we found rooms to rent in a small street. The place was owned by a guy who worked the mines in Western Australia in the 1960s. He spoke good English and welcomed us with Grappa. A homemade potion that you would use to cut and polish your car.
After showering we then went for a wander around this historic town which has 365 churches. Ohrid is listed by UNESCO. We visited the Monastery of St Pantelimon-Plaosnik (hard to say and spell) where I was approached by a guy who stated he was a philosopher and that he could give both Gus and I a brief history of the area for a small donation. We agreed and I pulled out a few notes as a donation. He looked at the amount and gave me the money back and then walked off. Lol. Obviously he'd never asked a Yorkshireman for a donation before.
We also visited Samuel's Fortress and walked through the ancient part of the town down to the port to see the Plane Tree which is more than 1000 years old.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb