...And now we play the waiting game


Advertisement
Europe » Lithuania
August 11th 2006
Published: August 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The bus was actually on time, I couldn't believe it. I left Riga to the minute and was on my way to Šiauliai (Prenounced Shou-lay) in Lithuania. When we arrived at the border, we had to wait for 20 minutes while the passports were processed. This begun a theme for the day, waiting. Once at Šiauliai I headed to the Information Centre to find out ways to get to to my destination. I had to wait in ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

UzupisUzupis
Uzupis

Crossing the "boarder"
Locks are back.Locks are back.
Locks are back.

So it appears to not ONLY be a Latvian tradition.



12th August 2006

Wow
The hill of crosses truely amazing, Mum loves the photos of Salos Castle travel saftly, only three weeks to go before we all catch up in old London town
12th August 2006

Hill of Crosses
wow - that place would give me the creeps good to see you're keeping healthy on the road with the noodles - traveller's dinner! lol stay safe dude!
14th August 2006

Amazing!!
Wow...I think you are right about the crosses.....too many to count!! Looks awesome though... You have seen so much! Well, we are on the contdown now and looking forward to seeing you in london!!4 weeks to go!!!xxxx
11th October 2006

Lithuania
It was actually very interesting to read what impressions my country leaves to travelers like you are. I am very proud representative of my country and read this story with smile on my face. Because much of what you say looks like true, just little bit false mirror:) The thing is that yes, people of this nation are, lets say, "weird" enough - they are modest and sometimes pesimistic, but incredibly warm, sentimental, hospitable and sensitive at the same time. Of course it is dificult to form a clear view of us if you didnt get to know us closer, only met two old non speaking english vilige women, two wenches in a province information center, taxi driver and hotel staff:))) Joking of course. But the point is that we usually not rush to "lay our lifes down on your plate", but once you get friends - it is forever. People who you met must be tired enough because of ages lasting historical trials, challenges and changes, thats why i can to justify them saying "why Lithuania?" But i want to ensure that is not national character and there are many of us who are proud citizens of this country, fans of our traditions and history:) Lithuania quickly moves forward with fast growing economy, with active people and it gives valuable contribution to the world with its rich history and culture. Next time you here, you necessarily have to visit Curonian Spit with its unique nature - narror penninsula with the Baltic Sea on one side and Kursiu lagoon, dunes and old fishmen villages, you should visit Birzai region and see phenomenon of subsiding slumping holes, visit pot town Klaipeda and night life of Vilnius, etc. Anyway was funny to read about your feelings being here:) And you are allways wellcome back to yellow-braided Lithuania:))) p.s. those two you met in Prague must be really lost children or some minority without self respect!:)))

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb