Walking around Vilnius


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Vilnius
July 5th 2015
Published: July 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today we did not bike, but walked a lot.

Warm to hot, depending if you were in the shade. Nice wind if up at higher elevations. Definitely a sunblock day.

Ate breakfast at our flat.

Walked to National Cathedral and Museum complex. The climb to the upper castle was easy on this very hot day. It provided a commanding view of Vilnius. Went to the top of the tower, looked at various exhibits here.

Then went to the National Museum. Looked artifacts and castle remnants mainly from 1350 to 17th century. Very interesting Lithuanian history lesson.

Later had lunch at Japanese restaurant and sushi. I had "warm" sushi, which was very good.

Later went to Museum of Genocide. This the building where the Nazis and Soviet era KGB performEd their ghastly work. Overall pretty depressing. They killed many Jews, Lithuanians and others here. Had a section the Lithuanian resistance during and after WWII. Many people were sent gulags and labor camps in Russia.

Went to dinner to Mykolos restaurant. I had venison steak - cooked perfectly.

Pam had pumpkin, hazelnut and carrot soup and a beetroot salad. Both meals were excellent.

Tomorrow we go back to Riga, via bus. Had great time in Vilnius.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb