Day 5 - Taurage toKaunas


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Vilnius » Trakai
May 12th 2011
Published: May 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Taurage to Kaunas


In sight of RussiaIn sight of RussiaIn sight of Russia

A quick trip to Smalininkai to see Russia
Day 5 saw us head south east from Taurage, bypassing Quinlan Corner (the new Accident Blackspot) by a few miles and angling down towards Jurbarkas near the Lithuanian / Russia border. The first 2 hours of cycling was mostly through heavily wooded areas and our feet were a little heavy following the Officer's Mess hospitality of the previous night.

However we made reasonable time south and decided to stop in at the small town of Smalininkai, which sits on the river between Lithuania and Russia, before deciding to make a small side trip to the border crossing at Burgaiciai for a quick photo opportunity.

After which we then headed back to the 141 towards Kaunas and started to eat up the miles.

Today was a long day of over 85 miles of cycling in 23+ C heat, although towards the end the weather turned a little cooler. However, about 30km from Kaunas the route turned increasingly hilly and the road quality deteriorated somewhat making life a little tougher in the afternoon.

We ate a late lunch at a Kebabai by the river before continuing on our way.

Just outside of Kaunas we had a welcome break from inclines when we found our first 12% decline and made a rapid (if short lived) descent at 31 mph (45 kph) to the river valley below. It was worth the wait.

We then hit Kaunas and met our latest Rugute families, spending a very pleasant half an hour chatting and sharing our stories. We received some lovely pictures from the children and then had to head to our hotel for some much needed rest and food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Al needs some extra exerciseAl needs some extra exercise
Al needs some extra exercise

How to get extra strength into Al's legs for the last day to Vilnius.


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb