Vilnius here we come!


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Vilnius » Trakai
May 8th 2011
Published: May 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Very early start 2:30am! Everything went relatively smoothly at airports though there was a definite OMG moment when the luggage conveyor stopped and we were the only ones waiting for our gear...10 minutes later and we were sorted. Two straps broken and a small hole in my bike bag. Had a great welcome from over 20 people outside the Barclays building, Green Hall and managed to get all the bikes set up in record time. A few speeches and a quick pizza lunch and we were off. A couple of the Lithuanians joining us took us through Vilnius on the cycle routes which were a little bumpy and I was desperate for the open road...we had a full escort in the form of a car in the front driven my colleague Vitas and a van driven by Gintaras (who is coming around with us all the way) - cool! Felt like we were at the Tour De France albeit a lot slower. Going wasn't quite as flat as we were led to believe and the road to Sirvintos was hard going. Much better journey to Ukmerge though we had to do a short journey in the van when the road to turned into a dirt track. Had a great companion with, Arunas, up to Sirvintos where he turned back! Learnt how to pronounce some place names which is a start I suppose. Had a great meal with the guys and two pints to take the ache from the joints. Oh yeah, lots of Storks and we also thought we saw a wild Cat - it was big!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb