Reality Check


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Siauliai
June 22nd 2011
Published: June 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The three of us have been here less than a week & have already been interviewed twice by local journalists. They were anxious to hear about the Lithuanian community in America, our reasons for volunteering & our impressions of Lithuania thus far. We enthusiastically answered every question & amazed the journalists by "speaking Lithuanian so beautifully !"

After our chat about life in America, we experienced a true reality check. Roma wanted us to see the neighborhood that a majority of the orphans grew up in. We were appalled at the degree of poverty seen in these slums. A social worker in the area took us into homes that were full of stench & soot, naked babies holding moldy dolls & rotten food covered in flies. It was hard to muster up a smile when all we felt was shock & disgust.

Later, Roma explained that these families with 5 or more children live off of 200 litai ($80) a month. They're considered fortunate because they still have their parents (even though most are alcoholics). The kids in our orphanage were found in even worse conditions - many times left to fend for themselves. One child came to Pamuse & had never even seen utensils, a shower or a bed before. It took months before he understood how to use them.

After seeing the devastating past our kids have lived through we decided to spoil them by teaching them how to play baseball & baking them American chocolate chip cookies - - probably the sweetest thing they've tasted in their lives! Our emotional roller-coaster continued with a trip to Kryžiu Kalnas where we saw the sun set over the breath-taking Hill of Crosses.

~Ziba


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Hiomemade batHiomemade bat
Hiomemade bat

Since baseball is not popular in Europe. the kids don't have a baseball bat. This was not a problem; they made one themselves. It was amazing!


23rd June 2011

unbelievable yet believable
It is truly unbelievable to see first hand the slums of any country. You can hear about them, and read about them, yet it never really prepares you for that harsh reality of life. Now you can understand how these orphanages become a safe haven, and how your own hardships in life may not be all that bad when you check them with this harsh reality. It is a sad yet important thing to see in life. We are very proud of you girls and the work you are doing to help others!

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb