Leaving Vilnius; Siaulai


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Siauliai
April 27th 2007
Published: April 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Vilnius; Siaulai

 Europe » Lithuania » Siauliai By carnelles
April 27th 2007
Eric
27 April 2007: On the way out of Vilnius we visited the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, built in the 17th century and decorated by two Italians with over 2,000 reliefs on the interior. The details were fantastic.

Driving along the A2, we stopped at the Burbiskio Botanical Gardens where the tulips were 3+ weeks behind the Skaggit Valley in blooming. And we saw storks nesting along the way.

The Hill of Crosses, literally thousands of them, is a national moument it seems.

In Siauliai, we passed by the new basketball arena under construction with a glass exterior that reflects sunlight in colorful rainbows. And watched the Siauliai basketball game.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



28th April 2007

"Pope's Curse?"
As you mention, Communist rule with implied attempts to surpress the church must have been frustrating for everyone. Do you remember in East Berlin when it was still under USSR control that on the Alexanderplatz a cross 'miraculously' appeared on the glass windows on the square? We saw it. I wonder what phenomenum produces the color on the basketball stadium. Also - loved the 'Viking ship' suspended at St. Peter's and Paul's church.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb