Lithuania . . . and before!


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Kaunas
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

In Kaunas, hanging out this evening until our 23:30 bus to Warsaw. Here are some of our photos from St. Petersburg, Riga, Vilnius, and Kaunas. They appear in reverse chronological order. Photos from Halong Bay, Hong Kong, Mongolia, and the rest of Russia are coming soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

4 Liters of Beer4 Liters of Beer
4 Liters of Beer

With your own tap!
.5 Liters Beer, .5 Liters Grog.5 Liters Beer, .5 Liters Grog
.5 Liters Beer, .5 Liters Grog

Semi-light, brewed in house. Yes, the grog comes with a pink flexi-straw.
Outside the Vilna Gaon Jewish State Museum of LithuaniaOutside the Vilna Gaon Jewish State Museum of Lithuania
Outside the Vilna Gaon Jewish State Museum of Lithuania

This is a monument to Chiune Sugihara, a Japanese diplomat stationed in Lithuania in the late 30's and early 40's. He gave ~6000 Polish and Lithuanian Jews transit visas to Japan. He has been called "the Japanese Schindler."
Leaving the Republic of Uzupis.Leaving the Republic of Uzupis.
Leaving the Republic of Uzupis.

The artsy folk in this neighborhood seceded from Vilnius to form their own republic a few years back. They are also responsible for the Frank Zappa monument.
The Consitution of the Republic of Uzupis.The Consitution of the Republic of Uzupis.
The Consitution of the Republic of Uzupis.

This includes the right of a dog to be a dog.
Lithuanian Food and DrinkLithuanian Food and Drink
Lithuanian Food and Drink

In the foreground is Eric's Lithuanian LIquor Sampler. Behand that are zeppelins, blimplike dumplings made with potato dough with meat inside and cheese all over the place.
Our bus from Riga to VilniusOur bus from Riga to Vilnius
Our bus from Riga to Vilnius

We had to document the luxury: legroom, clean seats with only one person per seat, wireless internet, and a coffee machine. The Eurolines Lux Express is the way to go. We didn't even have to shovel mud to get to Lithuania.
How Much for Georgia?How Much for Georgia?
How Much for Georgia?

A billboard advertising an art installation we missed by one day in Riga.


14th October 2008

Comrades
With his hat, sunglasses, and new full beard, Eric could pass as a young Fidel. We have noticed a common thread throughout all the pictures on the blog, grog and blending in with the locals. Wonder if Santa Cruz is going to seem boring? Looking forward to seeing all the pictures that could not be downloaded due to interface incompatibility, and hearing all the stories that could not pass the internet censors in various countries.
17th October 2008

Constitution
That constitution is awesome!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb