Time for Lithuania


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Kaunas
August 12th 2007
Published: August 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We discovered today that ever since we entered Lithuania we have been living out of sync with the rest of the nation, by one hour that is. Finally it dawned on me today as a big digital clock in a town suggested that the time was exactly one hour later than what I presumed it was. Funny indeed, as for over a week we had been going around indignant that shop keepers would shut their shops one hour early (just for the sake of it obviously), and that buses did not behave according to their timetables. It had even gone so far that I was complaining it was getting dark early at night, was light too early, and why didn’t they put their clocks one hour forward? Well they did, it was just us who didn’t!
Aside from our difficulties with time, we have visited Trakai, with its romantic island castle, Vilnius, and Kaunas. On route to Kaunas we had been told that Rumsiskes had camping, and arrived to the same old problem that it was non-existent. Our problem was quickly resolved by the security guard at the local ethnographic (outdoor) museum, which consisted of replicas of all the different styles of traditional housing found in Lithuania. The security guard simply ushered us in there for a small unofficial tip (8 Lit -2 euro) and we felt rather privileged, and a little astonished to be allowed to camp on the site. At 9am the next morning (at what we thought was 8am, still living in our deluded world) we were promptly ushered off the site before the crowds arrived.
We have accumulated an arsenal of mosquito repelling devices, but are still getting bitten, however it is good practice for Asia as the mozzies here do not carry any diseases and are just rather pesky (they should stick to their flowers!).
We’ve followed the Neumas river to the coast, free camping along the way, and are currently in the region of the Neumas Delta regional park where over 5 million birds rest on their migration routes. As it’s a delta region its not yet the sandy swimming beach as we know it, but that should come in the next few days.

Slovakia cycletouringTV now on youtube!

Trip notes

Aug 6 Day 112 Grutas to Trakai (107km) . Most Kms in one day so far.
Six and three quarter hours in the saddle, head winds and 26km of dirt/sandy road (sometimes so deep we had to push the bikes), rode through very scenic forest most of day but if we stopped the mosquitoes would swarm at the slightest opportunity.
Camping with electricity and WIFI 39 Lit
Groceries 14 Lit
Restaurant 18 Lit

Total = 71 Lit
Exchange rate 1 euro = 3.4 Lit
Euro = 21

Aug 7 Day 113
Trakai - rest day
Camping 39 Lit
Supermarket 107 Lit
Post 3.6 Lit
Restaurant 24 Lit

Total = 173.6
Euro = 51

Aug 8 Day 114
Rest day - day trip to Vilnius.
Camping 39 Lit
Buses 14 Lit
Taxi 12.50 Lit
Souvenirs 70 Lit
Restaurant and food/drink 43 Lit

Total = 178.50
Euro = 52

Aug 9 Day 115
Trakai to Rumsiskes 92km
Camping symbol on map but not campground in near vicinity so asked at site of ethnographic (outdoor museum) as advised by local person. Security guard offered it for 8 Lit, and toilets and running water available but this is probably an unofficial perk for him and he may get in trouble as an unsmiling woman took a photo of us on her mobile phone and ominously said ‘see you tomorrow’ so we plan an early start tomorrow!
Grocery shopping 36 Lit

Total = 44 Lit.
Euro = 13

Aug 10 Day 116
Rumsiskes to Vilkiya 78 km
Free Camp next to Neuma river.
Grocery shopping 62 Lit
Bike parts 20
Ferry across river 4 Lit

Total = 86 Lit.
Total = 26 euro

Aug 11 Day 117
Vilkija to Viesvile 81km
One flat tyre Sonya rear due to perished tyre
Free camp in forest
Grocery shopping 60
Video tapes 26

Total = 86 Lit
Euro = 26

Aug 12 Day 118
Viesvile to Rusne 82km
Two flat tyres (Nigel front due to perished tyre, Sonya rear as still using same perished rear tyre - it exploded with a bang like a balloon in the middle of a thunder storm and the tyre has now been changed for the spare)
Camping 20 Lit
Groceries 52 Lit

Total = 72 Lit
Euro = 21.8






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



11th September 2007

Green is the colour of envy
Hi guy's, how you doing? All well I hope. Just thought I'd drop you a line to let you know I'm still totally jealous of your epic adventure... You have some beautiful, beautiful photos... Baltic states look cool; I feel attracted to the kitsch communist legacy and relics, and also the endemic Euro-Asian cusp natural beauty and charm. P.S. Was so fantastic to catch up with you both in what was now 2 months ago! P.P.S. I have renewed that Russia book for another few weeks - don't cha just love services provided by the Borough of Richmond? ;) take care, G

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 97; dbt: 0.1579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb