fourth entry


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Kaunas
August 14th 2007
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

misc lithuania pics


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Welcome!Welcome!
Welcome!

This is the front entrance to the summer camp where I have been teaching baseball to kids ages 8-16 for the past six weeks. It is called Mercurijaus, and is owned by Arvydas Sabonis, a famous Lithuanian basketball player-turned-entrepeneur.
the baseball fieldthe baseball field
the baseball field

to be more precise, I don't play with the kids at the camp. We use a soccer field in the center of an old run-down summer camp that is no longer functioning. There are beer bottles everywhere, the buildings are looted and falling apart....the day we went to scope out the place the first thing I found there was a gas mask. Not to paint a grim picture or anything, but it is a truly unique 'stadium.'
AkropolisAkropolis
Akropolis

This is the huge mall just completed near Old Town in Kaunas. It was actually constructed on a site where stood a few buildings that were protected as historic structures......the developers maneuvered around this problem by building the mall on top of those buildings, incorporating them into the inside of the structure (and putting shops in some of the old buildings!). Inside is one of two megaplex cinemas. I have been going to a lot of movies while in Kaunas. My favorite movie of the summer so far was Die Hard IV.
playing catchplaying catch
playing catch

Andrius, Viktorija's brother, had his pitching debut earlier this summer. (Shortly thereafter he broke his finger and has been not been able to play since). Here we are discussing the subtle nuances of throwing a baseball......
baseball by the seabaseball by the sea
baseball by the sea

Andrius and me
Burning sausagesBurning sausages
Burning sausages

picnic with Vika & family.
Tea with grandparentsTea with grandparents
Tea with grandparents

We had tea with Vika's grandparents. They were in Kaunas for a traditional Lithuanian Dance festival. They stayed in an elementary school that had been set up as a hostel for the visiting dancers.
Dance Festival Dress RehearsalDance Festival Dress Rehearsal
Dance Festival Dress Rehearsal

We attended the dress rehearsal, cause the performance was sold out.
bad weather, great dancingbad weather, great dancing
bad weather, great dancing

Another view of the dancers


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb