Lady Goes to Liechentstein


Advertisement
Liechtenstein's flag
Europe » Liechtenstein
August 2nd 2011
Published: August 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bummer! I awoke with a flat tire this morning. Must have been a slow leak cause it wasn’t entirely flat. Bill and Gerri had slept in until after 7 this morning, knowing that they had only 50 kms to go. Then they had to change my tire, so they didn’t get started until 9 or so. That’s what they get for taking me over those gravel roads yesterday. The route today was much smoother.

First, we stopped in the town of Chur for groceries -- milk, cereal, cheese, bread, cookies; at least they won’t starve today. Though there were a couple of patches of off road biking, most of it was not too bad. However, once again, they got lost a couple of times. It was okay as long as the route followed the Rhine River, but once it turned inland to go around industrial areas or through a town, the way became a bit confusing.

At about 40 kms. into the ride, they picked up a nice, smooth, straight, flat bike path that crossed from Switzerland into Liechtenstein. This country is only 62 square miles in size and boasts a total population of just over 35,000. It dissolved its military in 1868 and is considered a hiking and biking paradise with over 250 miles of well maintained trails and 55 miles of marked bike paths.

Stopping in Triesen for a melon and drinks for a picnic lunch, the two of them asked several people where the campground was. All three of them said something and then the word “Up.” We figured we were in trouble. UP is not a good word to hear in the Alps -- it can mean a long, grueling climb.

Luckily, that was not the case today. The campground was, indeed, up but only a kilometer or so and not terribly steep. So here they are now, sitting at a picnic table under a pavilion, drinking their sodas, eating chips, and thinking about making a salad and a sandwich for dinner tonight. The campground is filling up quickly. Like many European campgrounds, this one has a restaurant of sorts and a biergarten, but prices are ridiculously high, so it will be sandwiches for them this evening as Tramp and I rest comfortably under a tree.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb