Living it up in Land Locked Liechtenstein


Advertisement
Europe » Liechtenstein » Triesen
March 16th 2016
Published: March 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

So, this happens all the time….you’re sitting there having a very nice conversation when somebody interjects “I will be vacationing in Liechtenstein this year!” Okay…..that was a boldface lie. In all reality, unless you’re a fairly well-schooled geography student from Europe or really like to ski, you may not have spent much time thinking about the sixth smallest and one of two doubly... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Imperia StatueImperia Statue
Imperia Statue

Rotating strangeness
One more lake viewOne more lake view
One more lake view

3rd largest lake in Europe
Not great photo of an imperial crownNot great photo of an imperial crown
Not great photo of an imperial crown

Forbidden photography in museum
National MuseumNational Museum
National Museum

High fashion
Lake ConstanceLake Constance
Lake Constance

View in Konstanz, Germany
Earthly delightsEarthly delights
Earthly delights

Hot Chocolate
She keeps spinningShe keeps spinning
She keeps spinning

Had to laugh at ourselves



18th March 2016

Lichtenstein
Did you also know that you can make Lichtenstein your 'own' country for a large sum of money. They will rename all the streets to whatever you want for a day, or so I have heard. I have started saving :). And can't believe you had wild garlic soup, it has such a kick!
18th March 2016

Lichtenstein
No we had no idea we could own the country and change all the street names. That is wild but we love this little country the way it is. We were enchanted by it. The soup was simply amazing.
18th March 2016

Scenic Thoughts...
I had to stop half way through your blog to picture myself driving through the beautiful mountain roads in my shiny red Maserati. I stopped at my castle in the clouds and was brought my special wild garlic soup that I always have when I'm there....OK, that was fun. What a nice place that I have never thought to visit. Looks like another place to put on the wish list! Until we get our chance thanks for taking us along!
18th March 2016

Scenic thoughts
Small but mighty. Yes the drive would have been nicer in our Maserati but that is life. I'd go back just to have the garlic soup again. Thank you for your comments.
18th March 2016

Complain???
They gave you a Fiesta instead of a Maserati, I am not a violent man but I think someones head should roll. I would save up your money so you can rule the place for a day and throw that guy in a dungeon. The scenery looks incredible, will have to put Lichtenstein on my list.
18th March 2016

Complain
Well we were supposed to get a Ford Focus not a Maserati -- but they down graded us to a Fiesta. We tried to convince them we needed the Maserati for all the errors but no go. Lichtenstein is a lovely country. Beauty abounds.
18th March 2016

Vacationing in Lichtenstein
Oddly enough, I have had the 'I will be vacationing in Lichtenstein" conversation several times. One of my coworkers has a daughter who lives there, so we talk about her vacations in the tiny country a few times a year. Thank you for the blog - Until now, I had not seen any photos from there. It looks like an amazing place.
18th March 2016

Vacationing in Lichtenstein
Ok...your conversation is unique and we say you should go. A tiny country surrounded by mountains, good people and good food. It is fun going to 3 countries in one day. Thank you for your comment.
18th March 2016

hair
I just want to know how you manage to always keep your hair looking great with all this travel?
18th March 2016

Hair
You crack me up! I've been thinking I needed a trim really bad but I want to wait until we are back in Florida. My hair has been flying away.
18th March 2016

Air
I can smell the mountain air from here!
19th March 2016

Air
Yes, I'll bet you can. The fresh, crisp air is noticeable. Thanks for the comment.
19th March 2016
Vaduz Castle

The capital of Liechtenstein is Vaduz
When I was a kid I'd play Capitals of the World with my dad. Whenever he'd say "Liechtenstein" he would always smile when I said "Vaduz". I think I was the only one at school who knew that one. Liechtenstein's claim to fame was it was the second largest exporter of false teeth after USA.
19th March 2016
Vaduz Castle

The capital Liechtenstein
What a great game and not surprised you were a star. Just realized we spelled Liechtenstein incorrectly and have gone back to change it. I guess that is what happens when you work on blogs late at night after a full day of exploring. No worries...it is fixed now. Always good to know at least one useless fact about a country and the false teeth issue fills the bill. Thanks for following along and commenting.
19th March 2016

In the Groove
Looks like ya'll are back in the travel mode where things are adventurous, enjoyable and delicious! Love the scenery and so glad Dave is now lager free!
19th March 2016

In the groove
We are having a grand time. So much to see and do. Dave is happy to be able to experience a variety of brews from Europe. He is happy.
20th March 2016

Great car stories
Loved Dave going rogue (sometimes the best part of a trip) and climbing up that mountain. So amazing that had you summitted it and descended, you would have been in Germany. And then being prepared travelers and having your GPS ready, only to find your destination 4 miles away. Europe always trips me out--how close countries are. You'll certainly be the stars in next year's TB Where Have We Been This Year--certainly the only ones to have gone to Liechtenstein.
20th March 2016

Great car stories
I always love it when Dave goes rogue....always an adventure. We enjoyed visiting Germany, Austria and Switzerland from this area....just be careful not to go into Austria without the sticker on your car as it is costly. It is fun entering so many countries in one day....heck it only took an hour or two. Thanks for commenting.
20th March 2016

VADUZ REVISITED
Many thanks for your beautiful description of this lovely region. It brought back memories of a great trip we had years ago, visiting Liechtenstein with our two daughters and motoring around the whole area. Your descriptions are marvelous! Have more fun. Aunt Phyl
20th March 2016

Vaduz revisited
Glad it brought back great memories. We truly enjoyed this portion of our trip.
21st March 2016

The Liechtenstein-Uzbekistan Conundrum
Great blogs from you guys again, and I love the doubly landlocked reference! I have had great pleasure reading as I sit with my chai latte in Denver Airport. Keep 'em coming!
21st March 2016

The Liechtenstein-Uzebkistan Conundrum
We are pleased that you enjoyed our land locked reference. Thanks for continuing to follow and comment. Ah, a chai latte in the mile high city sounds grand. Are you heading back to Canada? Hopefully, our paths will cross soon. Love to hear more about your life in Canada and Antarctic experiences.
23rd March 2016
Looking down over Balzers

Liechtenstein
I visited Liechtensten myself for two days or so many years ago. Long before TB even existed so i haven't written any blog on that. This picture captures exactly the image I have of it. Thanks for writing this blog entry that brought back memories. /Ake
23rd March 2016
Looking down over Balzers

Liechtenstein
Glad we've been able to feed you a memory or two. We were pleasantly surprised by our time there. Thanks for sending a message.
3rd April 2016

Frog crossing
We have those signs in UK in some places ... It is usually a place where frogs cross from pond to pond especially mating seasons etc
3rd April 2016

Frog crossing
Thank you for letting me know. We were puzzled by the signs. It never occurred to me that a frog would travel that kind of distance. The things we do for mating. Smile.
30th October 2022

Liechtenstein
Ah, great blog, and thanks for the pointer! This just confirms that my excitement of visiting this doubly land-locked country is not unfounded! I look forward to seeing the places you got to see, including Vaduz, Balzers and Malbun. I love Dave's travelling hat, really very cool!
30th October 2022

Liechtenstein
Everyone asked why we were staying 3 nights. Yes, it is small but it is easy to finds things to amuse. It was a lovely location.

Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 44; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb