Beachvolleyball the Latvian Way


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia
April 14th 2005
Published: December 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Beachvolleyball the Latvian Way

For two beachvolleyball addicts as we are one of the gloomiest prospects of our journey around the world was to spend the summer months in some remote Siberian village or some stinky Chinese city where the chances of touching sand with our feet and a ball with our hands would be second to none. Expecting nothing it was a big surprise for us when we encountered this hardy Latvian working on his tan at one of the beaches of the Baltic Sea just outside Riga. On the upper half of the beach were still patches of snow, the reminders of a long winter, but this didn't seem to bother him much. Apart from his sexy swimming pant he had brought one other item with him which caught our interest: A blue, white, yellow coloured ball. Noting our glimpses he immediately challenged us for a game. Two minutes later we were in the middle of our first beachvolleyball game of the year - and already an international game. We were a bit stiff in the rather cool environment and the long pants were not facilitating flexibility either. Nevertheless, we played three full sets and it was good fun for all of us.
After getting such a good impression of the Latvian men it was difficult to understand why the young Latvian women we met in the evening (when we were wrapped in several layers of fleece again) were hanging around with grey-haired, self-declared businessmen from Greece stinking from too much after-shave. But that is a different story…

Find more stories and pictures on our Lovelyplanet-Homepage.






Planet Portrait



Planet Pictures


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.381s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 31; qc: 129; dbt: 0.191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb