Castles and Steps - Over 1000!


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Vidzeme Region » Sigulda
July 6th 2012
Published: July 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Before breakfast, headed to the supermarket to buy packed lunch. What a start to the day!

Left the hotel at 08h45 and walked to the bus station in order to catch the 09h20. Though due to arrive at 10h30, traffic jams in Riga meant that the bus didn't reach the city boundary until 45 minutes after departure, eventually arriving in Sigulda at 10h50, quite a bit later than planned.

Before doing anything else, decided to buy an ice-cream once in Sigulda as it was already so hot. Then set off for the walk to the cable car, passing some pretty gardens and odd sculptures.

The first set of (250) stairs down to the river took me through some very cooling trees, the route being fairly mosquito free. Having crossed the river though, the walk up to Krimulda was subject to some antagonism. However, having covered myself in suitable prophylactics and there were no bites.

Various stops for water were required due to the heat and the exercise of climbing steps, but eventually, I arrived in Turaida, in time for a bite to eat. The ruined castle was particularly spectacular, but the gardens and lakes were simply superb.

After a few hours, I returned to Sigulda by taking the riverside path ... and then the bus back into Riga ... and tea.

Just as my meal finished, approximately 1000 people in regional costumes, flowers, medieval instruments and candles, formed a procession from the town hall square across the stone bridge into New Riga. Sadly, I had no camera and have no record of this event.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Gutman's CaveGutman's Cave
Gutman's Cave

The largest cave in the Baltics, framed with graffiti from the 1700's
WWII BunkerWWII Bunker
WWII Bunker

In use until recently!


Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 89; dbt: 0.1195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb