Riga, Latvia & Tallinn, Estonia --- July 22 & 23, 2011


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region
September 18th 2011
Published: September 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

LatviaLatviaLatvia

The ruin of a former castle and church. The coat of arms still shows above the main gate.
Riga, Latvia & Tallinn Estonia --- July 21 & 211, 2011

From a historical perspective Latvia and Estonia did not exist as countries until a brief period between WW1 and WW2. They again re-emerged after the breakup of the Soviet Union. The Latvians and Estonians were surrounded throughout history by larger and more powerful neighbours with the result that at different times they were part of Germany, Sweden, Poland and Russia.
One discovery we made in Tallinn was that our taste buds have changed. We went to a chocolate making store and both Mare and I made a number of white, milk and dark chocolates, but when we went to try them we found them too sweet for our taste. In Latvia we travelled outside of Riga to the remains of a former German medieval castle and a park where a number of large new sculptures have been created since Latvia became independent.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Two ShipsTwo Ships
Two Ships

Estonia -- A compasion of the size of ship we now sail on versus the size that existed a hundred years ago in the Baltic.


Tot: 0.419s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb