Nothing like Switerland


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
July 13th 2006
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Traditional dancing and costume01 Traditional dancing and costume01 Traditional dancing and costume

We came across this concert on our search for lunch in Segulda.
Geo: 56.9465, 24.1049

We had a few plans for our last day in Riga; Beauty Salon, cinemas, train to Segulda (Just like Switerland) and then eat traditional food for dinner. First thing we did was visit the salon for some waxing, then walked to the movies, as we had planned to see Pirates of the Carribean at 11. We were about to buy tickets and found out that the session was full, so we bought tickets for the evening session. We decided to catch a train to Segulda, which has been described as the Switerland of Latvia. An hour later and we felt that we should soon be there. It was difficult to tell the stations apart, as they did not have names or platforms. The train track was through the middle of a forest and the train seemed to randomly stop and passengers would get on and off then disappear among the trees. A couple heard us wondering about where we were and told us that it was two more stops. Good! The train was old, hot and not air conditioned.

There didn't seem to be much of Segulda, we didn't have a map, so we followed some backpackers, hoping that they knew where to go. They didn't. We tried to find somewhere to eat, the three places that served food had it all sitting in bain maries- I don't do food thats been sitting there for hours and occasionally stirred. There wasn't anything to this town. We had two choices, stay here for 3 hours or get the next train back- which left in 15 minutes. We got a drink and a snack and caught the next train back to Riga. What a waste of time. In the end we spent over two hours sitting on a hot train and didn't really go anywhere. I have learnt a lesson- NEVER travel without a guide book!

Back in Riga we had Japanese for lunch. Then I went to the Internet for a while and Bridget went to a museum. We met at 6 to see the movie. The cinema was huge. The movie was good, funny in bits and far fetched in other parts. Then spent our last hot night in our dorm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb