Riga, Latvia


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
August 5th 2014
Published: August 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We crossed the border into Latvia without any problem, in fact we didnt see any border controls. Close to Riga we stopped at Rundale Palace where we had lunch in the beautiful rose gardens before taking a tour of the interior rooms. The palace was constructed in the 1730s but suffered serious damage in 1919 during the Latvian War of Independence. After World War II, it came under Russian control and a grain storehouse was set up in the premises and later, the former duke's dining room was transformed into a school's gymnasium. Only in 1972 was a permanent Rundāle Palace Museum established.



Later that afternoon we arrived in Riga in time to walk into the Old Town where we found a jazz band playing in one of the squares. We decided to stay and listen to the music and enjoy a drink. Ron thought he would order a sampler of beers, expecting them to be small glasses, he was surprised when four 250ml glassess arrived, needless to say he managed to finish them all.

The next morning we explored the historic Centre of Riga which has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the city is noted for
Riga, LatviaRiga, LatviaRiga, Latvia

Veiw from St Peter's church
its extensive Art Nouveau architecture, cosy beer cellars and cafes. We saw St. Peter’s Church with its 123 metre high tower which we were able to ascend in a rickety elevator. After delicious lunch in an outdoor cafe we boarded our bus for our last Baltic State, Estonia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb