Riga, One of the "Greats"!


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
September 5th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Riga is Fantastic!
We arrived here on Wednesday morning feeling rather dehydrated and tired after our impromptu drinking session in Leipaja the night before, however we were met with smiling faces at our hotel and a lovely breakfast in a nearby cafe, enough to set us up for a days sightseeing.
Riga (we were told by our drinking buddy the night before) is one of the "greats" and despite this rather dramatic build up we were not dissapointed, the architecture grand but equally precise, the cafe culture something more like Barcelona or Paris than the former soviet union and the range of restaurants reminding us of London.
We visited the museum of the occupation of Latvia, which gives a detailed explanation of the history of the country from 1939 to 1991, chilling, intriguiging, we learnt things that haven't got anywhere near a British history textbook and left wanting to learn more about the history of this region over the last century.
The food here is absolutely brilliant, from the garlic restaurant to tandoori chicken and korean kimchi, the latvians have served us a beautiful range of international and local cuisine, of course washed down with one or two uzupas, zelta or cesu!
Overall a fantastic historic city that we are sad to be leaving!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Freedom MonumentFreedom Monument
Freedom Monument

Where english people decide its appropriate to urinate
Riga old townRiga old town
Riga old town

St Peters church in background


7th September 2008

I agree. Riga is a fantastic city to visit. The best of the Baltic trio of capitals in my opinion. I was there is February 2006. It was cold but beautiful.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb