Strangest ferry ride...


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
July 4th 2008
Published: July 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone, since our last entry there have been many exciting events. After leaving Carl in Skovde we took the train to Goteburg and did the usual touristy boat rides, sightseeing things. There is a massive zoo in the center of town with a zoo, animal rides, patios and a frisbee gold course that jord gave dave a free lesson on. The operater even told him, and this is a direct quote, "You should keep playing, maybe one day you could be Canadian world champion." Dream big folks. After seeing three cities in Sweden we have reached a few conclusions, 1) Half of the cities are parks 2) Swedish moms must get government grants to hit the gym after they have their kids and 3) if you're friendly in bars you could end up having rows of shots and bottles of champagne bought for you. Also, finally, that one day we will move there.

The last day in Stockholm was a little hectic, picking up our passports and rushing to the docks to catch the overnight ferry to Riga, Latvia. After getting on board and realizing that our room was actually a couple of chairs in a common room at the back of the boat, we very sensibly hit the bar. This disappointment was ended, however, when we discovered that the Regina Baltica had a casino, disco, showbar and pub. And was full of Slavs making their way back home!!! The band (from Bulgaria) began to play in the showbar and we sat there in amazement as crazy old latvians and russins got up and danced to such hits as you can leave your hat on and YMCA in the middle of the Baltic Sea at 2 in the morning. We both agreed that no matter what else may happen on this trip, this was one of the strangest exeriences of our lives. And if this wasn't enough, a troupe of Estonian dancers came out in the middle of the show, in lingerie and proceeded to dance around. Then, naturally, they put on traditional costumes and did a can can. Most ridiculous night ever. In Latvia right now, getting ready to go out tonight and considering an all day canoe trip tomorrow. Thats all for now, talk to you later.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb